Hayward valve SP0704DE - leaks

Dec 9, 2007
I have the above valve in my system. It is leaking around the gasket between the top and bottom halves of the valve, and it is difficult to turn the handle (I do push the handle all the way down before turning it). I've seen a part "key, cover and handle assembly", part number SPX740BA on a number of web-sites, and it has been suggested that I install this part.
Is it as easy as removing the cover screws, dropping in the part, and re-installing the screws ? Do I need any kind of sealant for the gasket ? Thanks in advance for any help.

tfreejp said:
I have the above valve in my system. It is leaking around the gasket between the top and bottom halves of the valve, and it is difficult to turn the handle (I do push the handle all the way down before turning it). I've seen a part "key, cover and handle assembly", part number SPX740BA on a number of web-sites, and it has been suggested that I install this part.
Is it as easy as removing the cover screws, dropping in the part, and re-installing the screws ? Do I need any kind of sealant for the gasket ? Thanks in advance for any help.

The changeout is simple, all you should need is a #3 phillips head screwdriver (the nuts are 'lock nuts' so you don't need a wrench to back them up). I would use some silicone or teflon based lube on the o-ring!

I've gotta admit I'm a little confused on your multiport# I've got a copy of the 2006 parts guide here and the SP0704 looks like it's for sand filters. I'd definately double check the part # before ordering one (sand filter multiports have all the functions [backwash, filter, etc] 180 degrees opposite of DE multiports - this is because sand filters are top fed and DE filters are fed from the bottom) If your multiport is 'side mounted' (which I think it is) the 0704 is going to be backwards. DE multiport numbers run something like SP07##XR##... The "R" designates that it is for DE filters (it's 'R'eversed from the sand orientation).

I hope that this will enable you to get the right part to fix the problem :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.