Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: foam insulation under liner...where and what kind?

foam insulation under liner...where and what kind?

I've seen some buy and use some sort of foam or styrofoam insulation to use as padding under the liner. I THOUGHT I read someone bought a pink kind. Don't quote me on that. Where do you buy it at? Or whats the name of it? Is this cheaper than a gorilla pad? Was thinking about getting some today while we're out and about so we have it on hand when we put up the walls and liner.
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

Re: foam insulation under liner...where and what kind?

Any building center will have it. Here is Home Depot:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... reId=10051
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

Is this necessary or even helpful? Most pool people seemd to tell me that if the ground is done correctly and enough sand is used it doesnt really help. Also how does that compare to something like this http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Floor-Pad ... B002D0X1NI ?

No matter how good you do a sand bottom it will compress a bit under the weight of the water and you'll get some degree of divots or unevenness, matters how big of a deal you think that is.
    I have Gorilla Pad, it's not for padding the bottom so its more comfortable, it's for preventing roots, rocks, etc from poking a hole in your liner, the material is very thin and has no foot padding value at all.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    No matter how good you do a sand bottom it will compress a bit under the weight of the water and you'll get some degree of divots or unevenness, matters how big of a deal you think that is.
    I have Gorilla Pad, it's not for padding the bottom so its more comfortable, it's for preventing roots, rocks, etc from poking a hole in your liner, the material is very thin and has no foot padding value at all.
    Does the gorilla pad help prevent divots or uneveness? I am pulling my liner back and redoing the bottom completely because of settling. New sand the whole works. I have the gorilla pad installed now and i am curious if I should reinstall when my pool guy redoes the floor. At first he was just going to pull the liner down and do 1/2 at a time but after seeing it he wants to pull the liner out, soak it in big container full of water and try to reuse it. Its only 2 years old so he thinks he has better than a 50% chance of reusing the liner. Im doubting it, and have a liner lined up and ready to ship out just in case.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, my post can be moved if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Durf
    Does the gorilla pad help prevent divots or uneveness?
    I think the gorilla pad is only ~1/8" thick. At that thickness, it sure won't help with preexisting uneveness, and I would doubt it will do much to prevent divots in the future.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

It's not even 1/8" thick, there's no padding value at all to it and it won't even out divots, its solely for protection against liner rip/tear and that's it. If anything the fabric will likely have some slight rippling to it when you put the liner over it and it may show thru after the water compresses it.
    It's a strong fabric, but it's not padding.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Any thoughts on chances of reusing liner?

Doing the figures it seems that using that foam insulation would cost more than $500 on a 18x33 pool. Does that seem about right?

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    It's not even 1/8" thick, there's no padding value at all to it and it won't even out divots, its solely for protection against liner rip/tear and that's it. If anything the fabric will likely have some slight rippling to it when you put the liner over it and it may show thru after the water compresses it.
    It's a strong fabric, but it's not padding.
    You are correct - we installed a new pool last year, and because of the ground, being grassy and weedy prior, we installed it for the simple fact of protecting the liner. They say it is cut to size, wrong, my installer actually placed the pad down prior to the wall rail and once the pool was up cut it to size. This also allowed them to pull it tight during the initial fill to remove some of the rippling.
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad