My First Post Ever and Certainly Not My Last

Oct 11, 2011
Ok, guys. New pool owner here and I made a big mistake. 18,200 gallons and put in last summer. Gunite w/ plaster. I live in South Louisiana w/ very soft water.

Last winter, my pool developed bleach spots or calcium deposits of some sort. The pool contractor came and drained, sanded and refilled the pool. No charge. However, they didn't put any chemicals back in it so I tried to do it my self. I screwed up b/c I used test strips until the TF test kit came in. Bad idea. Well, when the kit came in and I tested it, I way way overshot some chemical usage due to the test strips. At any rate, the pool calculator says to drain my pool some 42% of water and refill. Do I really need to do this or will it self correct in a couple of weeks. Is it ok for my girls to go swimming in?

Here are the results: FC = 9, Combined Chlorine = 1, pH = 7.5, CH = 520, CYA = 110 and alkylanity = 110. I tested it 2 days ago and the numbers have moved an inch. I did all the chemical adding on Sunday/Monday so its been about 5 days since my screwup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to review your testing procedure, just to make sure you are testing correctly, but basically: Yes, you should replace some water to get your CH and CYA levels down (especially CYA).

Your CC level is a little high, you want CC to be 0.5 or lower. Because of that, swimming is not the best idea until you can get the CC level down. If CC doesn't come down right away, you will need to shock the pool.

You are at a slight risk for calcium scaling. Make sure to keep the PH at 7.8 or lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.