Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My First Post Ever and Certainly Not My Last

1. Back To Top    #1

My First Post Ever and Certainly Not My Last

Ok, guys. New pool owner here and I made a big mistake. 18,200 gallons and put in last summer. Gunite w/ plaster. I live in South Louisiana w/ very soft water.

Last winter, my pool developed bleach spots or calcium deposits of some sort. The pool contractor came and drained, sanded and refilled the pool. No charge. However, they didn't put any chemicals back in it so I tried to do it my self. I screwed up b/c I used test strips until the TF test kit came in. Bad idea. Well, when the kit came in and I tested it, I way way overshot some chemical usage due to the test strips. At any rate, the pool calculator says to drain my pool some 42% of water and refill. Do I really need to do this or will it self correct in a couple of weeks. Is it ok for my girls to go swimming in?

Here are the results: FC = 9, Combined Chlorine = 1, pH = 7.5, CH = 520, CYA = 110 and alkylanity = 110. I tested it 2 days ago and the numbers have moved an inch. I did all the chemical adding on Sunday/Monday so its been about 5 days since my screwup.

Any help would be appreciated.

My pool is about 30,000 gallon plaster with spa and all Jandy controls/valves
    Chlorine, pool sweep with 3 pumps total, heater, waterfall lagoon style pool
    So CA location

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: My First Post Ever and Certainly Not My Last

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to review your testing procedure, just to make sure you are testing correctly, but basically: Yes, you should replace some water to get your CH and CYA levels down (especially CYA).

Your CC level is a little high, you want CC to be 0.5 or lower. Because of that, swimming is not the best idea until you can get the CC level down. If CC doesn't come down right away, you will need to shock the pool.

You are at a slight risk for calcium scaling. Make sure to keep the PH at 7.8 or lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School