Another Liquidator flow problem

rmetz

Apr 13, 2012
Like many I have been reading about, my Liquidator simply is not flowing. At first I thought it was a blocked valve or flow indicator, but it seems it is the 'out' float. When I see that there is no flow I can slightly lift the out float and get full flow. So, there is obviously nothing blocking the valve or flow indicator. I also do not see any of the "white stuff." It almost seems like the in and out floats are not spaced far enough apart. Is there a "fix" to this or should I consider contacting HASA for a new float valve? I'm going on 2nd week since installation. It seemed to work okay for about the first week.

Welcome to TFP!

Are there any white deposits accumulating on the body of the float valve. Sometimes they get crusted over and don't move easily enough. Though I can't imagine that happening after only one week.

Another possibility is that the float arm is brushing against something, or otherwise getting blocked from moving. That should be fairly easy to locate if it is happening.

The final possibility is that the inlet valve is turning off too early, so the water level never gets high enough to trigger the outlet valve. This could happen if the unit was tilted. The inlet shouldn't turn off until the outlet is fully open. You can test this by pushing down on the inlet float to turn on the inlet flow and watching to see if the outlet then turns on by it's self.

No white stuff floating or depositing on anything. Not tilted. It does seem like the inlet float shuts off too soon and the level is not quite high enough. Just seems too close to the limits. But, I don't see any adjustment in the floats. This evening it seems to be giving me some flow. I manually lifted the out float several times late in the afternoon just fiddling with the thing. Maybe I worked out something that was restricting it. We'll see how it's working in the morning.

What you are describing sounds like you aren't getting enough water into the liquidator. If there was enough inflow the outlet float would be fully open. What kind of pressure do you have on your gauge?

Yes, it came with the 3/8" upgrade. Filter was cleaned as I put the LQ system into service.

It could be something of a dP problem. I have a variable speed motor on my pump. I prefer running at one of the lower speeds most of the time. I have a suction cleaner. When I run on high speed while cleaning the LQ some seem to flow well, and my FC levels go high after a couple hours of cleaning.

I'm trying a bit higher speed. Haven't really even tried to dial in the LQ dosage yet, because I haven't been able to keep it flowing. But, I understand how the circulation rate and time will affect that.

Bama Rambler said:
There was some discussion about putting a venturi backwards in the inlet side to force water into the unit in low speed installations. That may help your situation.

Where can I find info about this "venturi fix" for low speed?

I am getting no flow into the container. The in float is sitting low enough that the valve is open, but no flow in to raise the level to open the out float. When the out float is open it appears to flow fine. No plugging (yet...) in the valve or flow indicator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes one just cannot see the forest through the trees. As I quickly discovered I did not have any blockage problems between my out float valve and the pump suction connection. Anytime I manually opened the out float valve I had full flow. It just seemed the valve wouldn't open. So, I immediately thought the problem was the float. It "felt" too heavy. Maybe a leak in it. So, any pump suction improvements would be irrelevant. Well, how about the obvious...no flow into the LQ tank? If no flow comes in the water level drops and the out valve closes, never to open again...until you get some flow in to raise the level and open the valve. I shut down the pump, pulled the in hose off the return piping connection and...no water leaked out of the tubing connection. I stuck a bamboo skewer into the tubing connection, jiggled it around a little. Water came freely flowing out of the connection as I withdrew the skewer. Something plugged the hole, but would periodically let a little water through at higher discharge pressures. Probably plastic burrs from when I drilled the hole and didn't de-burr it. I hooked everything back up. Running like a charm...just like it did for the first week. So, make sure you can flow water into the tank before you worry about getting chlorine out of the tank. John T was right on the money -- the first few times I read his post it just never sunk in. I just "assumed" I was getting water into the tank and was consumed with why I couldn't get any flow out...apparently because that is the problem everyone else has.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.