LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
Venice, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am well under way with my new build. Things really seem to have gone smoothly until now.

The forms, road base and re bar were up several days ago. they started the pour as I left town for a few days. I return...THE FINISH IS WRONG. I had even text-ed the PB during my trip asking how the rock salt finish looked. the reply "all is good".

Our contract initially specified that it would be spray decking, but in subsequent conversations and emails we change to rock salt. We thought it would look nice and preserve the opportunity to do something else if we didn't like it. I was concerned that I did not make myself clear, but I went and found the email from 2 weeks ago. "We definitely want a rock salt finish..." Okay he replies.

It looks like a lousy broom finish with swirs and short brush stokes in some strange places.

Does anyone have an advice for when I talk to the PB again. What tactics or leverage would be reasonable in this situation?

I agree with Matt above that the work might not be finished. It would make sense for the concrete to have 'brush strokes' to give the finish coat something to bind to. Have you spoken with the pool builder about the work? If he claims to be finished, and you have different specs (in writing) than what was delivered..I think you should be able to get him to fix his mistake.

I'll take the pics tomorrow. if we hadn't decided on a salt finish, I would agree, it's not done. I think we have no choice now but to continue to a spray deck finish. I think the builder should bear the increased cost! We had conferred by email what the final finish should be.

I called the PB today. No response yet.

Chris

Well, i spoke to the PB. He inadvertently forgot my written request for a salt finish. That means that the decking contractor was planning on a spray deck finish. The PB apologizes and we have come to terms. Spray deck finish it is.

Additionally, in the days since the pour, I identified a pitch problem. A large puddle accumulated right in front of my people and dog dog. Nightmare! With the spray deck he indicates they can use a leveler to rid me of that puddle problem.

Please enjoy my photos, including those of the terribly placed puddle at

http://www.photobucket.com/boston2austin

Thank you for your in put.

Thanks for the update! Although you are getting a (slightly) different finish than you expected..look at the bright side:
Your pool looks great and is almost done!
You caught the puddle before decking was completely finished
It's gonna be a great swim season! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.