Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble with my decking! Help, Please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble with my decking! Help, Please!

I am well under way with my new build. Things really seem to have gone smoothly until now.

The forms, road base and re bar were up several days ago. they started the pour as I left town for a few days. I return...THE FINISH IS WRONG. I had even text-ed the PB during my trip asking how the rock salt finish looked. the reply "all is good".

Our contract initially specified that it would be spray decking, but in subsequent conversations and emails we change to rock salt. We thought it would look nice and preserve the opportunity to do something else if we didn't like it. I was concerned that I did not make myself clear, but I went and found the email from 2 weeks ago. "We definitely want a rock salt finish..." Okay he replies.

It looks like a lousy broom finish with swirs and short brush stokes in some strange places.

Does anyone have an advice for when I talk to the PB again. What tactics or leverage would be reasonable in this situation?
    Built 2012: 14x28' free formed IG gunite with 4 person spa. 11,000gal, Hayward 2 speed Tristar pump, Hayward 420sq ft cartridge filter , auto tablet chlorinator (I use BBB), 250BTU Hayward heater, quartz pebble finish, LED lighting

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble with my decking! Help, Please!

Sounds like its not finished yet? Any pics?

We went with spray decking and it turned out superb. But it was just plain ugly concrete for about 2 weeks before they finished it with the spray deck and color sealer.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm with Matt, sounds like that's the scratch coat your looking at.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with Matt above that the work might not be finished. It would make sense for the concrete to have 'brush strokes' to give the finish coat something to bind to. Have you spoken with the pool builder about the work? If he claims to be finished, and you have different specs (in writing) than what was delivered..I think you should be able to get him to fix his mistake.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll take the pics tomorrow. if we hadn't decided on a salt finish, I would agree, it's not done. I think we have no choice now but to continue to a spray deck finish. I think the builder should bear the increased cost! We had conferred by email what the final finish should be.

I called the PB today. No response yet.

Chris
    Built 2012: 14x28' free formed IG gunite with 4 person spa. 11,000gal, Hayward 2 speed Tristar pump, Hayward 420sq ft cartridge filter , auto tablet chlorinator (I use BBB), 250BTU Hayward heater, quartz pebble finish, LED lighting

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, i spoke to the PB. He inadvertently forgot my written request for a salt finish. That means that the decking contractor was planning on a spray deck finish. The PB apologizes and we have come to terms. Spray deck finish it is.

Additionally, in the days since the pour, I identified a pitch problem. A large puddle accumulated right in front of my people and dog dog. Nightmare! With the spray deck he indicates they can use a leveler to rid me of that puddle problem.

Please enjoy my photos, including those of the terribly placed puddle at

http://www.photobucket.com/boston2austin

Thank you for your in put.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Thanks for the update! Although you are getting a (slightly) different finish than you expected..look at the bright side:
    Your pool looks great and is almost done!
    You caught the puddle before decking was completely finished
    It's gonna be a great swim season!

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for the reply, Blake.

Chris