First REAL Test...Here We Go!!!

Dave..Thanks for catching that. Here's the deal. The 5 psi reading has been the norm/usual pressure I see when I put in a new or really well cleaned cartridge. I usually runs 7-12 after a bit of use. May be the gauge or could be normal for this setup. I have all 2" pipe with 2 skimmers and a bottom drain. As the filter is 175 sq. ft., and I am getting good flow out all 6 returns. I can also open deck jets (2) and easily get 3 feet high with the stream. As the filter gets dirty and/or the pump strainer get some trash in it, I can tell by the deck jets, return flow and even the flapper in my check valve that doesn't open fully. I do know that the trash I found on the impeller earlier today WAS keeping some flow/pressure down. Now after a good cleaning, the water is even rippling (sp) and I haven't moved any of the eyes. As always, I appreciate anything you may see or catch as I am learning more here that I ever imagined! Please keep those messages and notes coming! They are sincerely appreciated !! Your thoughts???

Yeah, that's all starting to make sense. I am not too familiar with cart filters so i couldn't figure out how big 175 sq ft was.

That's a nice big filter with a lot of returns and, between those two, pretty much explains your low psi.

If you ever wanted your deck jets higher, you could put smaller eyeball openings in the returns. Your psi would increase some but your jets would really shoot up. Secondly, I would clean that cart around 8psi for best efficiency. I don't think I'd let it get to 12

Sounds like a great plan to me!! I can shut some of the returns (valves) and get those puppies to shoot 10-15 high!! LOL..kinda impresses the crowd, but hurts when you sit on them! Still moving forward..this rain that is moving in should teach me even more. Thanks for ALL your help..hope I can return the favor!! By the way, the TF-100 rocks!!

Okay..here's that latest....
FC 12.5
CC .5
Just a very little bit clearer. Barely see shallow end pattern (3 feet). Did not brush today until I got home from work. Looks like a little white "powder" can be kicked up with the brush. Not alot, but did cloud just a bit more after brushing this evening. Didn't get the rain expected, only less than a 1/4 inch. Skimmers caught a double hand full of maple seed stems in approx. 24 hours....windy last evening. Pressure still holding at 5 psi. Added bleach to keep above 12 overnight and into day when I can test again.
My "plan" is to TigerShark again tomorrow, of course keep eye on pressure and clean as needed. I did try to "feel" the white dust/powder and it was NOT slimmy and may had a bit of course gritty feel, but very little of it.
Guess my question is should I do anything else or should I just chill and wait this thing out. This is day 5+...nothing to really hurry me up other than my own "wish it was faster" factor.
As always, your help is wonderfully refreshing and much appreciated!!!

Okay..time for a little help with my "thought" process.....
Today shows no change in clarity. Pressure still running at 5 psi. Took the time to make sure I was getting full flow to filter. No issues there. Looks as if I am catching nothing now with the filter. So...I put in older filter..pressure now 6 psi. Added 1 1/2 cups of synthetic DE..pressure up to 9 now..still good flow at returns/deck jets. Brushed very well..pressure up to 11 now. It would seem as if I am now catch "something". Plan to keep this in place overnight and watch the pressure and clarity. As I will have limited time to "watch" the pool over the next few days (work), I will be limited to checking FC and CC and brushing and cleaning filter "if" I see too much pressure or reduced flow. Does this make sense and is that what YOU would do?
As always, all the help is greatly appreciated!!

FC 12.5
CC .5 or less
Looks like the synthetic DE has this thing moving toward clearer now. Going to go this route (unless someone has a better idea) for the next several days and see where I am. IF doesn't clear by then, I MAY use a bit of clarifier. Any thoughts and/or suggestion greatly appreciated!!!!

FINALLY at a point where I have made great progess thanks to all of you!! Here's were I am and just a couple of questions.
FC 5.5
CC < .5
PH 7.6
TA 120
CA 200
CYA 30
Temp ~66 degrees
Shocked, brushed, filter cleaned--repeat as daily and as needed for the past 2 weeks. Passed the OCLT x 2 nights (just to make sure), and let the FC drop to suggested level and started the SWG to keep up (10% x 24 hours a day). Running pump 24 x 7. Just a little bit of white haze/cloud that is clearing as I brush and clean filter...daily improvement!
Plan on hanging a sock tonight or tomorrow with CYA. My question is, should I be concerned about the TA of 120 and/or can that be part of the slight haze/cloudy? I've been taught by you guys not to just shoot for a number, but do what the pool, test, and calculator tells me. Your thoughts and suggestions please!
You guys are the best!! Saved me a ton of time and $$$!!! Best thing I did for my pool is this Forum and TF-100!!

I would go ahead and get your pool all cleared up.....the TA is not contributing to that. Then, unless you have pH rising w-a-a-y too quickly, I would leave it alone.

If you are really starting to get into having your pool almost perfect (many of us do :lol: :lol: ) then you could lower the TA down around 80 and that should slow your pH rise..

Nice work! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thought I would post some before and after pics.. Yep, before is really BLACK..could only see 2" down.. First shot (sucessful) at TFP..

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 16
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 16
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 16
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.