Getting Alkalinity down quickly

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I tested my water yesterday and TA was 140. I dropped pH to 7.0. Today TA was down to 125 and pH 7.4. I can't aerate right now. To cold to swim and I don't have a fountain. It might rain in the next day or so, so I can remove the solar cover.

So am I on the right track? Can we swim this weekend with the TA up if pH is ok?

Looking to get in for the first time on Sunday.

My numbers:
FC 9
pH 7.2
TA 125
CH 310
CYA 70
Salt 3500
Borates 30

From my understanding, TA has basically no bearing on whether the water is safe to swim in or not. It is a pH buffer.

If the Ph and FC are good and the water is warm enough ... have fun :cheers:

duraleigh said:
Also, leave your TA where it is unless you have some pH problems.

Huh? I thought it was too high? Thats according to the Pool School chart for SWG balance.

Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
To summarize:
FC 3-5 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH
50-300 for vinyl
220-320 for fiberglass
250-350 for plaster
CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)

Huh? I thought it was too high?
It's higher than we suggest but it won't hurt you (unless your pH becomes unstable) and you seem to be impatient so just leave it alone. The information and suggested guidelines we provide are just that....suggested. Particularly with TA, you may never notice a difference.

duraleigh said:
Huh? I thought it was too high?
It's higher than we suggest but it won't hurt you (unless your pH becomes unstable) and you seem to be impatient so just leave it alone. The information and suggested guidelines we provide are just that....suggested. Particularly with TA, you may never notice a difference.

LOL! I can be at times :) .

I have hd excellent water side joining here 99.9% of the time. This winter I got lazy. So the higher TA is not going to "hurt" the pool right now?

I will just keep working at it, until its in the recommended range.

The Pool store also said it was high and to take my time getting it down with acid.

Hurricane Gio said:
So the higher TA is not going to "hurt" the pool right now?
Nope, you might experience a fairly constant ph rise (probably slow), but if you do, the good news is that the acid needed to bring the ph down will also slowly lower the TA. Just make sure you keep an a little closer eye on your ph. Just a note: since you have borates, getting TA down may take awhile longer than if you had no borates.

Hurricane Gio said:
The Pool store also said it was high and to take my time getting it down with acid.
Is rare, but the pool store is right this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.