Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Validate my plumbing layout...

1. Back To Top    #1

Validate my plumbing layout...

I'm finalizing my plumbing design, and looking for feedback from the pros. Fire away!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28K free form IG pool, pebble finish, spillover spa, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IntelliChlor IC40, Easy Touch 8 PS, Quad 60 DE, Aquabot Supreme, Hayward LP heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Validate my plumbing layout...

I would put the spa return check valve lower down, after the merge from the pool/spa three way. This isn't crucial, but it does help prevent some possible secondary problems.

You don't usually need a check valve between the heater and the SWG, unless they are forced to be fairly close together.

I can't think of any reason to put a check valve on the blower pipe (I assume that is a check valve).

It is often nice to have a three way that selects between skimmers and main drain, hardly essential, but nice.

You may want to orient a few of the three way valves differently. By default the middle port (the one with no port opposite it) can't be turned off. That makes the cleaner 3-way problematic. The stops can be adjusted to solve this issue, but it is more obvious to users, especially future users, to plumb them the other (standard) way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You may want to orient a few of the three way valves differently. By default the middle port (the one with no port opposite it) can't be turned off. That makes the cleaner 3-way problematic. The stops can be adjusted to solve this issue, but it is more obvious to users, especially future users, to plumb them the other (standard) way.
    I was thinking the same thing about the solar 3-way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Doh! Thanks guys - that was a complete bonehead miss!
    28K free form IG pool, pebble finish, spillover spa, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IntelliChlor IC40, Easy Touch 8 PS, Quad 60 DE, Aquabot Supreme, Hayward LP heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

He's using valve actuators on the cleaner and solar so no issues with stops there. Also, if you're using Pentair valves, the stops in the handle can be adjusted to close off whatever port you want. On the jandy valves, rotating the lid to different position allows you to turn off whatever port you want. IMO nothing wrong with any of that.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman
    He's using valve actuators on the cleaner and solar so no issues with stops there. Also, if you're using Pentair valves, the stops in the handle can be adjusted to close off whatever port you want. On the jandy valves, rotating the lid to different position allows you to turn off whatever port you want. IMO nothing wrong with any of that.
    Right, but in that orientation you can not really "throttle" the 2 inputs/outputs as well since putting the valve between the 2 would actually partially block them both. There is no way to partially block ONLY the single side of the T.

It can work, but you loose a little flexibility IMO.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The cleaner line is really the only one that it applies to, but how else can it be done in that setup? Solar will either be on or off and it will either be in pool or spa mode.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source