Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Apr 13, 2012
I am just opening my pool and in the process of worm removal :). Can I do an AA treatment with adding no chemicals and not putting in my cartridge filters in a very cold pool right now? I thought this might be the cheapest and easiest way to do this but willing to admit I may be wrong ;)

When doing an AA treatment you will get the best results if the chemicals are properly balanced so you should add the recomended amount of chemicals to balance your pool water. It is recomended you use a metal remover after removing the stain and for this you will need to run the filter for 24 hours so you will need to put the cartridges in the filter.

Good luck with your stain free pool

Welcome to TFP!

As poolsupplysales says, you will want the filters in and everything at least basically balanced. That said, there are some advantages to doing an AA treatment early in the season while the water is cold. Cold water will slow down or eliminate any risk of algae getting started during the AA treatment, which is a nice advantage. It will also slow the whole process down a little, but that shouldn't matter since you won't be desperate to swim in the colder water.

I have a 70 degree pool with vinly liner and have added 5# of ascorbic acid 3 days ago and still have yellow/copper staining at the deep end of my pool. It has become lighter but it is still there. I have used citric acid last year and it did nothing at all. Do I need to give it more time before I raise the PH and chlorine? Btw, my chlorine has been zero for two weeks now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.