Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A different how long to run Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

A different how long to run Pump Question

OK as you can see I got a larger pump than the one that came with my little easy set. I know that each pool is different on how long to run pump but what I want to know is does most people split the times up. For example say you need to run the pump for 12 hours to make everything ok. Should you run the pump for say 2, 6 hour periods or for the full 12 hours, or does it matter?
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A different how long to run Pump Question

I've heard of it going both ways, all at once or broken up. I think the total is the most important part, but breaking it up gets the stuff on the surface into the skimmer before it sinks.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by hrddrv
    OK as you can see I got a larger pump than the one that came with my little easy set. I know that each pool is different on how long to run pump but what I want to know is does most people split the times up. For example say you need to run the pump for 12 hours to make everything ok. Should you run the pump for say 2, 6 hour periods or for the full 12 hours, or does it matter?
    It can be done anyway you want as long as you get your water still looking good, whether it be 1 turnover or 1.5. If your timer allows you could break it up to 4 three hour periods. If your electric company has cheaper rates during "Off Peak Hours" run it 75% during those hours and 25% during peak.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. That is what I thought. Obviously the pump I have now turns the water a heck of a lot better. I plan on using a outdoor timer to accomplish this. I guess I will start experimenting tomorrow.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge