First Test of the year

Got me a new ColorQ and love it.

FCL: 5.49
    TCL: 5.98
    PH: 7.8
    ALC: 175
    CH: 295
    CYA: 41
    20x41 Inground Vinyl, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Pentair 1 HPWhispeflo, Interllichlor, Prowler 720

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test of the year

We just had a thread with someone using a ColorQ and just got a TF100. Seems like some of the ColorQ results were suspect. Here are some of their comparisons:
    new-to-this-group-and-desperately-need-cya-cl-help-t42048-20.html#p344099

Seems like the ColorQ might be good for quick tests to see trends, but the absolute numbers could be off.

Here is another comparison:
    new-t-f100-user-vs-colorq-results-t34100.html?hilit=colorQ
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with jbliz...be careful with the colorq, it can be misleading especially on ch and cya (and occasionally on the other tests as well). ....but it is useful to have 0.01 ppm of resolution

It is indicating that your TA is fairly high, do you have a way to confirm your numbers?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a TF-100, I can double check the numbers shortly. The water temp may be colder now but I will give it a try.
    20x41 Inground Vinyl, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Pentair 1 HPWhispeflo, Interllichlor, Prowler 720

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TK
    The water temp may be colder now but I will give it a try.
    Let the water warm up to room temp before you test (especially for cya).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a TF-100, I can double check the numbers shortly. The water temp may be colder now but I will give it a try.
    Please post up a full comparison ... it would be great to have more info to see what the may compare favorably and what may be off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I am not the best using the TF-100, especially PH which I feel is impossible to get close but I will do this shortly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well the good news is, my understanding is ph is one that the colorq does fairly well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well I am not the best using the TF-100, especially PH which I feel is impossible to get close but I will do this shortly.
    Huh?? Fill with water, 5 drops and compare. How hard is that? CYA is the tricky one!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

10. Back To Top    #10

Did two test per test kit: The tf-100 was having issues.

Color Q First Test Second Test
    FCL 5.49 4.85
    TCL 5.98 4.92
    PH 7.8 7.7
    TA 175 172
    CH 295 278
    CYA 41 42

TF-100
    FC 10 19.5
    CC .5 0
    TC 10.5 19.5
    TA 130 120
    CH COULD NOT GET TO TURN BLUE AFTER 40 DROPS
    CYA 50 50
    ph 7.8 7.8 This is just a guess

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah your TF-100 results particularly for FC do seem erratic. How much chlorine have you put in your pool recently (and how big is your pool)? Did you add ample R-0870 powder, especially for the first sample? If you did not put in enough your test would read low.

I suggest reviewing the extended test kit directions for the FAS-DPD and see if that suggests anything to you:http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206393 Then redo the test.

The only other measurement that seems strange to me is CH. Why did you stop at 40 drops? Are you confident that your CH could not be that high. Mine is up in the 400 ppm range, so I am used to doing a lot of drops. Try the 10 ml sample approach in the extended test kit directions it will save your reagent:http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206396

Other than that, it looks like everything else i pretty workable. I would generally trust your tf results over the colorq.

12. Back To Top    #12

We've had threads prior to this comparing both test kits. I've had a colorQ and TFT-100 from the beginning when my pool was built in 2010. My numbers are generally close to each other all the time. The CYA has always been very close in comparison which is one of the numbers people claim that there is a big discrepancy. I use my colorQ more often out of convenience. I've had no problem with my water for the past 1 1/2 years. Actually once I get the pool balanced, I just check PH and chlorine levels 80% of the time and periodically (weekly) check the other numbers. Not more than a handful of times have I had to add any other chemical throughout the year other than muriatic acid since I've got an SWG.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't know about the FC test with the ColorQ - it varied by over a half a point - .65 actually. So the resolution of this thing is much less than two decimal places. It's about +/- half a point in accuracy so the true resolution is at best the first decimal place.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner