Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting Foam For Bottom Of Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting Foam For Bottom Of Intex

We are prepping our space for our Intex and are planning to purchase the 2 Inch sheets of foam at HD in the morning. I was curious which methods some may have used for cutting your foam? Did you place inside the circle and cut around blocks, use a utility knife, etc? I have suggested a electric carving knife Thanks for your help.

Jen
    Pool: Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 AGP 5061 gal With Pink Foam Underlayment
    Equipment:Intex SWG, Intex Pool Light, Still Needing To order new Intex Sand Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting Foam For Bottom Of Intex

A utility knife works pretty well, though you'll want a ready supply of sharp blades.
    While I have not yet tried one, if there is a Harbor Freight near you, they have a hand-held hot-knife for foam cutting.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

A keyhole saw works great, especially for cutting curves and chamfers. That is how I cut mine, 2 in foam with blades is tough unless your cuts are straight and you snap the foam. The type I like look like:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks much for the help Hopefully all goes well and hubby is not too stressed before it's done. I am so nervous about putting this pool up and it being unlevel.

Jen
    Equipment:Intex SWG, Intex Pool Light, Still Needing To order new Intex Sand Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Something to remember when placing your blocks, with an Intex pool, the legs will get pushed out somewhat by the water pressing on the sidewalls.
    You need to have your blocks placed a little outside of where the legs sit when the pool is empty.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Something to remember when placing your blocks, with an Intex pool, the legs will get pushed out somewhat by the water pressing on the sidewalls.
    You need to have your blocks placed a little outside of where the legs sit when the pool is empty.
    That's a great point. What would you suggest of for "a little outside" ?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, we did not get to install because of rain and ended up getting Home Depot delivery which took a day Hopefully today we can get to work on it.

Thanks Again,
    Jen

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that I pushed mine out about 2"
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

9. Back To Top    #9

Turns out the jig saw worked best We got it all gorilla taped and set up and is now filling! Looking all level so far, keeping my fingers crossed for sure. The wind has been our enemy so far, lol. About to head out and purchase our salt water system. Hoping I feel comfortable enough by the evening to order a stair/entry system. Going to be installing the pool fencing tomorrow pending everything goes smooth.

Jen