Pump keeps Alarming out!

Oct 8, 2009
Hello!

Yesterday I noticed that the Intelliflow pump kept alarming out for a blockage. I checked all the baskets and everything is good. The pump has been running fine since last Wednesday. If the pump restarts on it's own (after 2 mins) it will do the same thing...alarm out, restart, alarm out.....
but....If I reset it and start it in higher speed it will continue to run. It seems to alarm out at the lower speeds (1100-1300 rpm)
Does anyone have any ideas? This is my first year opening the pool myself and really do not want to call on the pool company. And I am no expert on pool pumps!

Thanks for any advice!

Bama Rambler said:
What is the filter pressure now compared to what it is clean? You need to run at the same speed to get comparable numbers.

Have you cleaned the filter lately?

We just opened the pool last Wednesday(the 5th). Pool was clear so I don't suspect a dirty filter already...

Bama Rambler said:
It could be dirtier than you think. Especially since it's a DE filter.

How does the flow out of the return(s) feel compared to laast year?

After 7 days? The pool was clear when we opened and the psi has only risen 5 pounds.... opening psi was 13 and @2800 rpm it is @18 psi

When the pump is running @1100 rpms....the psi is 11

Last year I only cleaned the filter once duing July. We opened in April and closed in October.

The flow out of the returns feels the same as last year as well...

I could clean the filter but just seems like a waste....any other suggestions?

mamasproject said:
Last year I only cleaned the filter once duing July. We opened in April and closed in October.
Even though you have only had your pool open 7 days this year, the filter could also have build-up from July-October (if I understand correctly).

I agree with Bama and suggest cleaning the filter. It won't hurt to try...

mamasproject said:
opening psi was 13 and @2800 rpm it is @18 psi

Current recommendations are backwashing when the pressure goes up 20-25% of your clean pressure to maintain good flow through the filter. If your clean pressure is 13psi, we would recommend backwashing at around 16psi.

Not sure if this is the cause of your pump alarm though.

Okay so a dirty filter is not the answer I was expecting. If I understand the Inteliflo manual correctly...the alarm goes off because of a blockage... that would that be from the pipes coming from the pool.....not a dirty filter? And the alarm is only going off during low rpms. It runs fine during higher rpm times.

The filter manual says to clean the filter when the psi rises 10 psi above the starting psi... I think cleaning the filter because of a 5 psi rise will be a waste of water and DE.....just my thoughts, which probably are wrong, but makes sense to me. I will have to do some more research and see how it goes.....thanks for the input!

You can do what you want... But you have received sound advice! It does make it difficult to help if you do not want to follow the advice offered to the questions you ask. The filter is the most probably the cause based on the information you have provided... De filters filter very efficiently and can quickly collect debris.

mamasproject said:
The filter manual says to clean the filter when the psi rises 10 psi above the starting psi... I think cleaning the filter because of a 5 psi rise will be a waste of water and DE.....just my thoughts, which probably are wrong, but makes sense to me. I will have to do some more research and see how it goes.....thanks for the input!

Granted not helping your original questions so stop reading now is you don't care about baskwashing logic :)

Would you agree that a 10psi rise over a clean pressure of 10psi (100% increase) is probably a bigger flow impact than a 10psi rise over a clean pressure of 30psi (33% increase)? Without know a starting pressure (which is a function of each pool, plumbing , and pump), how can the filter manufacturer say 10psi is the number? A percentage can at least be applied generally not knowing specifics of each setup ... the 25% just comes from the resident experts here (not me) ... which could improve your circulation and filtration, although at the expense of water and DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ROB N said:
You can do what you want... But you have received sound advice! It does make it difficult to help if you do not want to follow the advice offered to the questions you ask. The filter is the most probably the cause based on the information you have provided... De filters filter very efficiently and can quickly collect debris.

I was looking for a more technical answer since everyone on TFP has a wealth of information to give. I never indicated that I would not follow the advice given. But often I have been told that I am "difficult"....LOL :lol:

It could be one of the simplest things such as cleaning the filter or making sure you don't have debris in the skimmer and pump baskets... Let's just try something simple Before we go doing something technical or more difficult. :cheers:

I certainly don't mind you being a little difficult. I'm a little difficult myself sometimes. :-D

OK, So I've gone back and read the manual. :hammer:

If the unit is indicating "Blocked System" it can either be a suction blockage or a discharge blockage. I was thinking a discharge blockage and I still think the filter's a contributing factor and you may also have another return blocakge. However, You may also have a partial suction blockage.

How long, after you start it the first time, does it run before it shuts down and gives you the alarm?

Have you tried running water from a hose back toward the skimmer to make sure something didn't get dropped or sucked into the skimmer partially blocking the suction?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.