Light me up!

peachy

Feb 19, 2012
looking for your expertise. :goodjob:

is it worth getting LED lights instead of the traditional halogens? if so what would you guys recommend? this is going on a lap pool so i need about 5 lights.

LEDs use less electricity, but I do not think they are as bright (Although mine is color, so the "white" is actually when all the color LEDs are on ... so using strictly white LEDs would have to be brighter than my color bulb).

I also wonder if the LEDs are more directional, they tend to use the glass to disperse the light, so halogens may give a better light spread (although I am totally speculating).

hmmm. if they aren't as bright now then it should decrease even more as it gets older. it last much longer though.... but so much more money. i'm just wondering if there's one that stands out over the other.

Glass is cut on the inside to disperse the light just like a traditional light. The cost is a factor, but the features on LED's is better I thing. Getting color changes, more contrasting with the finished plaster. Also the LED's are cheaper to run, although unless your running all night long most of the savings in non-sense.

hi
i had before 2 x 300 watt halogen
i just put 2 x 18 watt white led
they are verry nice, and really bright

070420124295.jpg

I recently replaced 3 traditional incandescent lights with 3 Intellibrite 5g color LED's. Yes, they are not quite as bright, but not by a huge margin, and not to a point where I think its too dim. The color changing shows and ability to change up the colors based on mood, etc is really cool... definitely adds a blingy wow factor to the backyard. I think my only complaint is that the "white" setting on the color light doesn't look like the traditional white lights I replaced, it has a more blue artificial feel. I don't know if the white only LED lights have that same look. They did cost more on the front side, but my lights turn on at 7:00 and stay on till midnight, so I feel a lot better about the 3 lights using less than 160 watts total, vs nearly the thousand watts they used before.

With all that being said, if I had to do it all over, I would definitely go with the color LED's again.

-Sean

phatty,

so the white LEDs are cool white then eh if they are bluish? yeah i don't like those also. i was thinking of getting just the white version, is it worth getting the coloured version?

Yes... I think the color lights are awesome. I just installed them 2 weeks ago and they grow on me every night. My new favorite is leaving the spa on red when heating it up, and the pool on the "royalty" color show, which cycles thru deep blues, purples and green. It gets a lot of comments from people who see it. If you buy the Intellibrite's, get the color changing controller so you can easily change the colors. (or use Easytouch / Intellitouch if you have either of those) Otherwise you have to power cycle them on and off to change the colors.

Phattydeluxe said:
If you buy the Intellibrite's, get the color changing controller so you can easily change the colors. (or use Easytouch / Intellitouch if you have either of those) Otherwise you have to power cycle them on and off to change the colors.

Ah i was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.