30' round opinions....

Jul 29, 2010
New Bern, NC
For the past couple of years, we had a great time with our 16' Intex using the SWG with great success. We have decided on a larger, 30' pool offered at Sam's. This guy here: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=116035&navAction=#desc

Everything looks straighforward to me as far as installation, however it appears this pool will hold in excess of 20,000 gallons, whoa. I don't like to run things at their maximum capacity and I suspect the included 1 hp sand filter pump will probably need upgrading. However, what about our trusty Intex SWG? Am I going to have to go big on that too?

Any opinions are appreciated both on my direct questions and of course, this particular pool itself!

I'm sure everyone is busy gearing up for the summer! With gas prices the way they are, I suspect we'll be home using our pools A LOT this summer!

Thanks in advance,

Howard in NC!!!

On edit: I suppose this question would've been better in another forum, feel free to move it mods, sorry about that!

That's a huge pool, and you're correct about it holding a lot of water. I suspect that the pump is fine but the filter is going to be way too small. If I were going to change anything, it'd be the filter.

As for your swcg, a lot of people use them on bigger pools than this so I think it'll be fine. My SIL uses one on a 24' pool and only runs it about 5 hours a day.

Level, level, level and then level some more. Flat and level is what you need to concentrate on. The better job you do on that the easier the installation goes. You'll also need more than one friend to help put the wall up. The last thing you want to do is not have quite enough help and wind up wrinkling the wall.

a 14' round pool 48" deep (of H20...not wall height) is just shy of 5k gal...a 30' round pool at 48" is 22k gal. The SWCG you have will likely not fit the bill. I went with a cspc48 for my 30'.

I would price out an all resin pool to see what the cost diff is for you. The SWCG will likely void any metal pool warranty.

Pool pumps are often sold overpowered which ends up wasting you money. I have a dual speed and run it at the 1/8th hp always and the 1hp when I am cleaning or trying to stir things up...I can leave it on 24/7 at about $2/day running it like that.

Filters are often sold smaller than required. That link doesn't state the size unless I missed it. I went with a 300lb filter...for the record, I was able to make an even swap for the 2 speed pump and bigger filter from the overpowered/too small package they offered with the pool...check around at your local pool stores, you may be able to work a reasonable deal.

a 30' AGP puts you in the inground accessories, such as swcg's, auto-pool cleaners...it becomes more fun, but more expensive too.

Good luck.
Tim

Oh yeah, if you are doing it diy a local pool store likely has some connections to an install crew...ask to price out the cost of leveling for the pool...it'll be a couple of hundred bucks but will save your nerves.

Thanks for all the advice! Good point on the warranty and saltwater, that didn't even cross my mind.

I was going to DIY this whole deal, but I just might go price out some all resin pools and the install crew was a great idea as well.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll report back when I have something more concrete (or resin, or fiberglass) :party:

I had 2 24' AGP's, and I had the same guy do the ground work for both. We had a sloped backyard with both of them which ended up in a 12" cut on one side, and a 12" build up on the other. He came in with a tractor, ripped up roots with the teeth on his box blade, put the teeth up, and 45 min later, he gets out, measures, gets on for another 15 minutes and measures again, and he's done. The first time, he only charged $75, we paid him 90, and probably 90-100 on the 2nd one years later. ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!

If you do have to have ground built up, be prepared to wait a few days to a week for it to air out. It's like dirt on a bubble until it airs out.

When it came to putting the wall up, the wife, kids, one of her friend came over with her kids, they make great wall holders.

I also put a gorilla pad underneath to help keep gophers out and help prevent punctures from any missed rocks or twigs. Not sure if it's really gopher proof, but I think it was worth it. We were lucky to find ours on craigs list, and it was only 3 years old, in great shape.. got the pool and decking that went around 70% of the pool for $800.

Sounds about like my setup..we had a 16 ft Intex pool for about 5 years, and kids loved it...so we went ALL OUT..we got the biggest AGP round pool we could find..it's 33 feet diameter.. and 52 inches high....it holds 25,600 gallons of water. We have a 1.5hp pump on it with a large sand filter (holds 300 pounds of sand)..and then we purchased an "aussie" made SWG..it's called the CompuChlor..and the salt ppm for it is 5600ppm..and I run this baby at it's lowest setting, and sometime have to shut it off, as it keep the chlorine a bit high in our pool

Good luck with yours.

Dan

I would go with an IG swg model at that size. Our pool is dished at the end and holds plenty of water. The AquaRite model is for an IG and does a lovely job without overworking

Well, I just wanted to report back and thank everyone for the great info!

We ended downsizing and bought a 24' Resin Matrix pool that's warrantied for saltwater. I'm glad we went smaller, because compared to our last, it's HUGE! It is filling even as I type. Did all the work myself with the use of a sodcutter, wheelbarrow and builder's level. Had to dig into earth on one side about 6" deep. Ended up getting it level to a 1/2" from one side to the other, so I'm pretty proud of myself. Installed 12x12 pavers flush with level ground under each leg. I used the foam coving and we upgraded to a true bead liner and that went very well, it's all flat w/no wrinkles. I am so dang impressed with this product and the way it went together with no hardware, sans for the wall seam fasteners.

It came with a 22" sand filter that holds I believe 250# with a 1.5 hp pump. I also plan on at least trying our Intex SWG as it performed so well on our small pool. Also opted for stairs instead of a ladder this time too.

I'll follow up with some photos in a couple days. Between filling it with our street water and our well water, we'll be swimming by October! :party:

Howard in NC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the pool all dialed in and running the Intex SWG. The Intex appears to be working just great and keeping up with no problems. Haven't got the timing perfect, but it appears running the SWG for around 4-5 hours/day is doing the trick. We'll see when it gets hotter and more sun in the coming months. At first, I had miscalculated and put in 100 less lbs. of salt that was needed. Wasn't making chlorine at all and was worried the SWG crapped out. Added the extra salt and bingo, success. Seems to really hold the chlorine well too, once I got all my numbers correct.

Extremely impressed with everything about this Matrix pool. Except for the labor of leveling, installation couldn't have gone easier and with the exception of my wife holding up the wall while I installed it, I did it all by myself!

Awesome! Glad you got everything done and ... I'm sure at a much less cost than hiring help. Sense of accomplishment is worth it too!

You should be able to manage the pool just fine with your Intex SWG. Our pool is just shorter than yours and close on gallons and our Intex is wonderful... Love it!

Show us some pics :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.