Which polaris is this model? AND how long do they last?

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
I bought a home and it came with the Polaris model. I dont know which one it is or how to repair it. The hoses appear dry rotted as well. Is it time to bite the bullet and buy a new one? OR should I refurb this old boy?

Attachments

• IMAG0734.jpg
    IMAG0734.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0733.jpg
    IMAG0733.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 266
This looks like a really old Polaris 360. Based on the condition of this unit, I think you will save money (and time) just buying a new cleaner. Does the cleaner work at all?

Duh, looks like I should read more carefully :hammer:

Which hose(s) look bad? I have no idea if hoses are pretty standard or if it would be difficult to find them. If you can get the hoses you need for a reasonable cost, I'd give it a shot. If it was totally broken, it probably would have been thrown out by whoever owned it before.

All the parts for that 380 are available on line. Shop around - prices vary widely.

That pinched feed hose near the body ought to be replaced - that pinch will never go away. If the rest of the feed hose is actually bad (dry rotted), it'll have to be replaced.

My 380 is about 10-years-old. They last a while, but periodically need some parts. The good news is that it's a DIY'ers friend - easy to work on.

If you get repair costs close 50% (maybe even 30%) of the cost of a new one, you probably want to ditch the repairs & buy new.

Good luck!

This looks like a really old Polaris 360.

This one is a 380 for sure. The 380 will require an additional pump (booster pump) to operate. Polaris 360 models on the other hand do not require the pump. The 380 uses the smooth hose pictured with the 360 uses a larger diameter hose.

JoshU said:
This one is a 380 for sure. The 380 will require an additional pump (booster pump) to operate. Polaris 360 models on the other hand do not require the pump. The 380 uses the smooth hose pictured with the 360 uses a larger diameter hose.

Good catch Josh (and I appreciate you explaining the difference in hoses)! :goodjob:

Thanks so much for all your help! I assumed it did not work but it makes complete sense to see if it works. Leslies Pool supplies actually said they would only charge for parts and no labor to refurb it. I'll get a quote on what it takes to get it back in working order. Appreciate everyones feedback!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I took it in and got a grand total of $300 to refurb it....Seeing that I can get a Polaris 3900 this weekend at Leslies for $610, I am thinking I am going to buy a new one...BUT I see on Amazon that the Polaris 3900 gets BAD reviews and people still like the 380. Anyone have a viewpoint on this?

The 3900 has gotten mixed reviews. It has a larger filter bag and more torque (3 jets vs 2) when compared to the 280, but the 280 consistently gets good feedback. You can also pick up a new 280 for only $80 more than the re-furb of your current unit would cost! Honestly, I think you would be happy with either cleaner though! :goodjob:

Think about the cost of running your pool--electricity may be your highest component. If that's so, then the 360 wins, as it does not require its own motor. However, if your pool is setup up to run a 380 (likely so, right?), then you're already into a second motor. To revert to a 360 may require some plumbing work that could outstrip savings any time soon. You'll need a professional opinion on that.

I have owned a 360 for 16+ years, put 2 or 3 refurb kits on it, and it runs like a dream. My pool store told me it was unrepairable last time. That was 2 years and one DIY refurb kit ago!

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.