Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which polaris is this model? AND how long do they last?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which polaris is this model? AND how long do they last?

I bought a home and it came with the Polaris model. I dont know which one it is or how to repair it. The hoses appear dry rotted as well. Is it time to bite the bullet and buy a new one? OR should I refurb this old boy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Which polaris is this model? AND how long do they last?

This looks like a really old Polaris 360. Based on the condition of this unit, I think you will save money (and time) just buying a new cleaner. Does the cleaner work at all?

3. Back To Top    #3

If it works, no reason to replace it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    If it works, no reason to replace it.
    I agree 100%! Just figured since you were asking about refurbishing it, maybe it wasn't working properly?

5. Back To Top    #5

Duh, looks like I should read more carefully

Which hose(s) look bad? I have no idea if hoses are pretty standard or if it would be difficult to find them. If you can get the hoses you need for a reasonable cost, I'd give it a shot. If it was totally broken, it probably would have been thrown out by whoever owned it before.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    This looks like a really old Polaris 360. Based on the condition of this unit, I think you will save money (and time) just buying a new cleaner. Does the cleaner work at all?
    380 bro, not 360

7. Back To Top    #7

All the parts for that 380 are available on line. Shop around - prices vary widely.

That pinched feed hose near the body ought to be replaced - that pinch will never go away. If the rest of the feed hose is actually bad (dry rotted), it'll have to be replaced.

My 380 is about 10-years-old. They last a while, but periodically need some parts. The good news is that it's a DIY'ers friend - easy to work on.

If you get repair costs close 50% (maybe even 30%) of the cost of a new one, you probably want to ditch the repairs & buy new.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

This looks like a really old Polaris 360.
    This one is a 380 for sure. The 380 will require an additional pump (booster pump) to operate. Polaris 360 models on the other hand do not require the pump. The 380 uses the smooth hose pictured with the 360 uses a larger diameter hose.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    This one is a 380 for sure. The 380 will require an additional pump (booster pump) to operate. Polaris 360 models on the other hand do not require the pump. The 380 uses the smooth hose pictured with the 360 uses a larger diameter hose.
    Good catch Josh (and I appreciate you explaining the difference in hoses)!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks so much for all your help! I assumed it did not work but it makes complete sense to see if it works. Leslies Pool supplies actually said they would only charge for parts and no labor to refurb it. I'll get a quote on what it takes to get it back in working order. Appreciate everyones feedback!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

11. Back To Top    #11

So I took it in and got a grand total of $300 to refurb it....Seeing that I can get a Polaris 3900 this weekend at Leslies for $610, I am thinking I am going to buy a new one...BUT I see on Amazon that the Polaris 3900 gets BAD reviews and people still like the 380. Anyone have a viewpoint on this?

12. Back To Top    #12

ALSO...while checking out other topics on this site...seems to be that the bad reviews on the 3900 stem from issues that were fixed by Polaris? Anyone have any insight into that? Otherwise, looks like I might get a 380 or 280.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

The 3900 has gotten mixed reviews. It has a larger filter bag and more torque (3 jets vs 2) when compared to the 280, but the 280 consistently gets good feedback. You can also pick up a new 280 for only $80 more than the re-furb of your current unit would cost! Honestly, I think you would be happy with either cleaner though!

14. Back To Top    #14

Think about the cost of running your pool--electricity may be your highest component. If that's so, then the 360 wins, as it does not require its own motor. However, if your pool is setup up to run a 380 (likely so, right?), then you're already into a second motor. To revert to a 360 may require some plumbing work that could outstrip savings any time soon. You'll need a professional opinion on that.

I have owned a 360 for 16+ years, put 2 or 3 refurb kits on it, and it runs like a dream. My pool store told me it was unrepairable last time. That was 2 years and one DIY refurb kit ago!

Good luck!
    KenShu, Houston TX: 18.5Kgallon in-ground plaster pool+spa, Hayward DE48 filter, AquaRite SWG, AOSmith 1.5HP pump, Hayward 350KBTU heater, Polaris360, TFTTestKit.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have the 280 and love it! it is reliable and does a great job...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok I am sold on the 280! Gonna go buy the new one Thanks for everyone's help! Now where is the best place to buy? I want to ensure I do not get a refurbished one!