Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What priority should these improvements be in?

1. Back To Top    #1

What priority should these improvements be in?

Hi, Just replastered my 30K gal pool. Startup was done by a pro...now I am looking to begin on my own but I have a couple questions about some improvements I need to consider. Also, I am wondering which of these should be my priority?

1. Booster pump is leaking...will need to replace it soon...but water does not appear to be leaving the pool as water level has not gone down. Is this something that needs to be fixed now?
    2. Pool is chlorine now....Considering switching to Saltwater. What are average costs for this to be installed? Any useful sites that compare costs? I am curious about the energy costs as I now have a 1 speed pump.
    3. Currently have a weird 2 filter system that is an older style of filtering. These are not in a separate filter tank, they are at one end the pool inside the weirs under the baskets. Does anyone know what this system is called? Pool Pro says the system may work but in liklihood, it will not be sufficient and to wait until the summer is over to see if it will be enough filtration for 30K gallons.
    4. Should I switch to a variable speed pump? I like the energy savings but do they have the ROI?

THANKS for any suggestions on which I should consider first AND possibly which I should consider doing together?
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What priority should these improvements be in?

Salt conversion should wait at least a month or so. Salt can interfere with the curing of the plaster. The SWCG will drive up your pH and with new plaster, you will struggle with your pH for the first year. Might be good to wait until next year.

Your booster pump may be repairable. Where is it leaking?

The pump switch may or may not pay off quickly, depending on your electric rates and if your utility or government offers any incentives for energy efficient upgrades.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I just wanted to add that I think the energy cost of a SWG is pretty low compared to your pump. Even if your electrical costs are not very high, you could certainly benefit from a 2-speed pump over the 1-speed ... you need pretty expensive electricity (or great rebates) or special pumping requirements to make the variable have a good ROI.

One thought though, with the variable pump, you may be able to remove your booster pump completely as the 3HP variable is pretty powerful ... depending on your setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Very interested in using the Variable Speed for the booster pump...can this work for the Polaris Pressure Side models? Thanks!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Are the filters inside the skimmers underneath the baskets?

6. Back To Top    #6

YES They are! What is this type of system called? Its not the traditional filter system at all! I've been told its way old school.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sorry it's taking sometime to get back busy season again.. Your skimmers are made by baker hydro.. If the skimmers are in good shape I would pull out the filters and install a new filter right after the pump. Baker hydro has been around for probably 20 years.