Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water...wife itching to hire a "pro" to fix it

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water...wife itching to hire a "pro" to fix it

I moved away for a year and came back to a swamp. I'm trying to fix it. My buddy turned me on to TFP.com and let me borrow his TF 100 kit. I've enjoyed reading the information on this site. My pool is no longer a swamp but the water is still cloudy.

On 1 Apr my levels were:

FC: 0
    CC: 0
    pH: 6.8
    T/A: 60
    CH: 90
    CYA: 0

I added 6% liquid bleach and a couple of trichlor pucks

A later test had the following results:

FC: 3.5
    CC: 1.5
    pH: Not recorded
    T/A: Not tested
    CH:

Went on vacation and came back to clumps of algae floating on top of the pool that were easily skimmed off. My FC was at 0 I switched to 12% bleach. I added a total of 7.5 gallons yesterday. I used a leaf eater and pulled green algae, dirt and some small sticks and a few pine needles off the bottom.
    I used drop out last night . This morning there was more visibility but still mostly cloudy.

Am I on the right track to get my water crystal clear? Levels tonight are:

FC: 4.5
    CC: 1.5
    pH: 7.5
    T/A: 100
    CH: 160

Just added a jug of bleach to bring back to shock level
    20,000, Sand, IG, Vinyl, 1.5HP, 50 GPM. Borrowed a TF100 test kit. Gotta get one! I have an SWG but I'm not sure if I want to use it anymore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water...wife itching to hire a "pro" to fix it

welcome to tfp, cavaness3000

Have you read this yet?:http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html

You need to get some cya into the pool, we suggest 20 ppm to start with during the shocking process. Right now you should never be below 10 ppm FC, once you add the 20 ppm cya, then you should never fall below 11 ppm. You are done with the shocking process when you pass all three criteria in my sig.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Get some CYA in there for sure. The sun's getting your chlorine before your chlorine can get to your algae. And if you have salt and the water's warm enough, fire up the SWG. It will keep the FC level up between you dumping jugs in. Turn it off for the overnight test, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'll get the CYA in and keep monitoring and update this post.
    20,000, Sand, IG, Vinyl, 1.5HP, 50 GPM. Borrowed a TF100 test kit. Gotta get one! I have an SWG but I'm not sure if I want to use it anymore.