Which sand filter should I buy?

Snoyt

Apr 9, 2012
I have an 18x33 above ground pool with a 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo LX pump (1580). The old sand filter was giving trouble last summer and I'd like to get a new one. I was looking at the S244T (300lb - 24") filter but I contacted Hayward and they said that filter would be way too much for my pump and it would not work correctly. I was puzzled by this because my pump has a relatively high GPM rate and there is very short piping between the pool and the filter (maybe 20' of pipe with 4 90-degree elbows). He stated that the biggest filter I could use would be the S180T (150lb- 18"). He said even the S210T (200lb - 21") would be too large for my pump to handle.
Is the S244T too large? Would there be any issues with using an extra large filter? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Take a look at this recent thread, it may help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/filter-sizes-t42087.html Where the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix SP15922S (a two speed version of the Matrix 1592) is recommended for the S244T.

From Haywards specs the 1580:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/images/pools/content/specifications/power-floLX_perfdata.gif

has the same curve as the 1592 (a 1 hp matrix, which is basically a 1 speed version of the pump as recommended for the S244T) in the thread above.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/images/pools/content/specifications/power-flomatrix_perfdata.gif

It is interesting that Hayward is recommending against it, but from what I have read from mas, it should be okay...

p.s. what trouble were you having with the old filter?

Did Hayward give any details as to why it would not work properly?

If the Hayward rep gave a reason such as it would not filter properly, then that is just plain wrong because filters actually work better at lower flow rates.

The only possible issue that I know of, is that there needs to be enough flow rate for backwashing but based upon my own estimates, that should not be a problem with that pump and filter.

You might try calling again and see if you get a different rep and different answer but this time get the details as to why.

This is a quote from his email "You have a SP1580 series pump and the only sand filter you can use is the S180T. Any filter larger will not work."

I sent him my phone number and he called me back.

I stated that I had looked at the flow curves and that their was very little piping. He said that their would not be enough flow to support that filter. I tried to tell him that the flow curves showed that it had in excess of 50 gpm and the filter is recommended only up to 62gpm, but he still stated that the only one I could use is the S180T with a 1 hp pump.

He also asked what type of piping I was using and I said that it was hard piped with 1.5" PVC. He stated that it would be better to buy the above ground, flexible pipe, because there would be less 90-degree bends (elbows) and it would flow better. That is when I decided it was no use talking to him.

On why getting new sand filter.

A couple years ago, I had a 150 lb filter, but it started leaking around the sand ports and I had earlier acquired a 200 lb filter used (at a yard sale) with a pump for a really good price. So I decided to hook it up, but it blew sand in the pool. I discovered several broken latterals, which I replaced. It seemed to work ok then, but it blew out large amounts of sand everytime I backwashed and it didn't seem to keep the pool as clean. So I've just decided to buy a new one, rather than replace the valve or anything else in it.

On getting a much larger sand filter, like the 244T (300lb). How can I be sure that it will backwash properly? By looking at the flow rates, and based on my short piping, I would think it would be ok. One thing is that to empty the skimmer basket on my pool now, I have to usually cut the pump off to pull it out because it has some much draw on it.

Would going to 2" pipe help any to guarantee good flow (for backwash), even though the pump, filter, and pool only have 1.5" connections (so I'd have to put adapters on them)? I probably have about 5' of pipe in front of the pump (with one 90) and 5' between the pump and fitler (with 2 90-degree elbows) and about 6' from the filter to the pool (with one 90-degree elblow) currently.

Just for kicks, call up Pentair and ask them if you could put a sand dollar SD70 with that pump and see what they say. Pentair makes just as good if not better filters and that would close the sale in my mind.

mas985: I emailed Pentair and asked them about the SD70. The lady at Pentair said she thought the TAD100D would work better as it can handle more throughput (100 gpm) and the filter would not work as hard. Then I asked her if my pump (1 hp - Hayward 1580) would be able to backwash it, and she said it would be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.