Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Valve or Ball Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Check Valve or Ball Valve

I am getting ready to replumb my filter pad. Currently I have no unions on my pumps and no service ball valves or check valves in my pump setup. I think I am defiantly going to use 2" unions on the pump but it would be nice when doing maintenance on the the filter or pump to be able to prevent all the water in my lines to drain back into the pool when I'm doing it. Been looking at spring check valves, does anybody have any experience with them? I'm afraid I might leave a ball valve closed by accident and starve a pump. Any comments would be appreciated.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check Valve or Ball Valve

The check valves that Jandy and Pentair make with the clear lids are supposed to have less head loss than some of the others and they are re-buildable if something goes wrong. I plan to add a few to my setup (after filter and on solar return) when I redo my pad.

I am not going to put one between the pump and filter as it sounds like you are considering. I can just turn my multi-valve to prevent the filter from draining.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only thing I see wrong with the Jandy valve is there all glue ins. So if any maintenance needs to be done your going to be doing some plumbing! You can turn your muti-valve to keep water in the filter tank but if you need to empty a pump strainer basket that's upstream of the valve, all the water goes bye bye. I was looking at Praher inline check valves with unions. But I never thought about head loss?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Use either jandy or pentair valves and check valves.. You will be really happy in the long run. If your equipment isn't above water level there is no need for a check valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the equipment pad floor level in relation to the surface of the water in the pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

When you open the basket you lose water back to the pool so you will want a shutoff/ball valve before the pump. Don't use a check valve before your pump as it can create an entrapment hazard. As for starving your pump a good practice is to always run the system after doing maintenance on it. You should notice a closed valve pretty quickly.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    it would be nice when doing maintenance on the the filter or pump to be able to prevent all the water in my lines to drain back into the pool when I'm doing it.
    Why is that a concern?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah I was thinking about doing that too, but had to plumb up the pad before I got them. Then realized the pump primes in like 30 secby itself. Meh, they can keep em.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

It not really a concern, just while I'm in there plumbing I thought it would be nice. I see allot of other equipment with shut off valves I figuring out what I don't like about my set-up. My pad is a little above water, when I pop the lid open to clean the strainer all the water drains back into the pool. I never really prime my pump either, just burp the filter until it draws water up into the pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

To prevent draining the pump basket, you need a valve on each side of the pump. You could go with a check valve on the suction side but you would have to use a 2-way on the return side. Avoid ball valves, they are really high in head loss and you can't repair them.

However, you shouldn't really need them and I think you would be better off without them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Mark, what valves would you recommend with the least head loss?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

12. Back To Top    #12

Standard Jandy 3-way, 2-way and flapper type check valves are probably the best. Jandy is the only one that publishes head loss data but I have seen some data on axial spring loaded check valves that you get at the hardware store and they have very high head loss and should avoided at all cost.
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

Mark, thanks for the info. I was under impression that ball valve would have zero head loss - looking thru the valve it seems that when it is open, the opening in the ball lines up perfectly with inlets of the valve. in other words, the diameter of the hole in the ball is the same as pipe diameter.

But searching online reveals that the opening is smaller, hence the head loss?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

14. Back To Top    #14

Right, any constriction adds head loss and disturbs the flow. The Jandy valves generally have a larger interior than the pipe diameter so it isn't as bad. But my biggest issue with ball valves is that you can't repair them without cutting into the plumbing not to mention how stiff they can be after some time.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Right, any constriction adds head loss and disturbs the flow. The Jandy valves generally have a larger interior than the pipe diameter so it isn't as bad. But my biggest issue with ball valves is that you can't repair them without cutting into the plumbing not to mention how stiff they can be after some time.
    Thanks Mark! I should have paid more attention in Physics! The Jandy valve is a glue in, so a failure would require cutting out the valve also, right? Unless you can rebuild the valve? If I put a flapper on the suction side and then just closed my multi-valve it would trap the water correct?

16. Back To Top    #16

i think you can open jandy valve from the top and fix things there if needed

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, you can rebuild the valve. It is only the valve housing that cannot be repaired but it usually the handle and/or valve that can gets damanged anyway. Also, it is nice to have the ability to take apart the valves for inspection to see if there is any debris stuck in there. None these things are necessities only things that make troubleshooting and repair a little easier.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

Mark, in front of my pump I have 2 push valves - each for 2 suction lines that merge right before the pump. what is your opinion on those? i would assume they should have very small head loss

19. Back To Top    #19

Do you have a picture of them or a web reference?
    Mark

20. Back To Top    #20

Mark, is there a general rule of thumb as to how far away from the inlet of the pump? Before 90's, after 90's? (Check Valves that is)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast