Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I go salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I go salt?

I see so many of you posting salt results in your testing, and I have heard many people talk about liking the way the water feels. Is there an article I am missing in pool school about salt? What are the pros and cons to implementing salt? How does one go about making this addition to a pool?
    Thor
    Yuba City (Near Sacramento) CA
    3,000 Gallon, IG, Fiberglass
    Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I go salt?

Personal preference really. Odds are if you have had your pool for awhile and using bleach, your salt level is well above zero ... maybe in the 1000ppm range.

SWG generally require 3000-3500ppm of salt, but I have read posts here about people adding salt up to 2000-2500ppm without a SWG just for the "better feel". Note that the ocean is around 35,000ppm.

There are a few things to consider. The salt water may be a little harder on metal around your pool and some natural stones (coping etc) could be damaged by the salt.

If you want to add salt, it is as easy as buying a few 40 lb bags (look for Solar Salt at HD/Lowes/etc which is about half the price of "pool salt"), dumping them in the pool, and brushing the salt around a bit until it dissolves (usually within 10 minutes from my experience).

EDIT: For your pool, each 40lb bag will raise the salt by about 250ppm. And each bag costs about $5.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

For your reading pleasure: http://www.troublefreepool.com/can-y...alt-t6006.html (the link to this thread was hidden in the further reading section of pool school)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    For your reading pleasure: http://www.troublefreepool.com/can-y...alt-t6006.html (the link to this thread was hidden in the further reading section of pool school)
    I knew I had read a post about this somewhere
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in! Thank you both. The thread you linked sold me!
    Thor
    Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by moljourn
    I'm in! Thank you both. The thread you linked sold me!
    So since we are selling ...how bout a swg to go with that salt?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hahaha! I'm already looking online. What models should I be looking at?
    Thor
    Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, the recommendation seems to be to size the cell for 2-3X your pool size. So look in the 40k range on the cells. Theoretically since they are not run as hard/often they will last longer and offset the higher cell replacement cost.

I only have some experience with the Hayward line with my old pool and going to be installing one on my current pool. Reading around here they seem like a middle-of-the-road option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by moljourn
    Hahaha! I'm already looking online. What models should I be looking at?
    We just installed Pentar? And some device called the IMPULSE 3000? It supposedly keeps the SWG clean?
    24'x15' 4.5 deep (avg) 13000 gallon pebble bottom in ground playpool
    Cartridge filter with a hayward 2.5hp pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wish I knew more about that stuff. I am going to hold off on putting an SWCG in. I just added salt to my pool for feel. I plan to keep it around 2000ppm and haven't been in yet (maybe this weekend) but can tell just by touch that the water feels AMAZING!
    Thor
    Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar

11. Back To Top    #11

SWG - Here is my opinion. I have a 2 foot waterfall from my hot tub to my pool, so I need to add about 16 oz of muriatic acid each week. Besides that, my levels are constant from March through October. Very little maintenance except for cleaning. Couldn't go without one.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit