Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in the pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in the pump

Does it do any damage if you have air in the pump?

I have two things going on. One is that when I vacuum it seems like I always get some air in the pump. Is this a problem?

Also, when the leak detector guys came, they said there was a very small leak in the pipe from the skimmer to the pump. They said that probably no water would leak out of this, but it would suck a little air into the system, and that it might get worse over time. How big of a problem is this?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in the pump

A little air is no problem. A lot of air can cause the pump to lose prime, and if that happens and the pump is left running without water flowing the pump could eventually be damaged. If this is only an issue when vacuuming, you should notice and be able to re-primte the pump long before there could be a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Plenty of water is flowing through the pump, but also there are lots air bubble coming out of the return. This is half an hour since I finished vacuuming. Also the pump pressure is down from 13 to 10.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

4. Back To Top    #4

A lot of air can cause the pump to lose prime
    The pump is down hill from the pool, so I don't think I would ever need to reprime, but I am a beginner, so there may be something I don't understand.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If your psi is dropping, then it's likely the air leak is causing the pump not to pump nearly as much water as it should. I think it is important that you find that leak and fix it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Could the pressure be lower due to a build up of air in the filter housing? Do you have an air release valve on the top of the filter?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    ... I think it is important that you find that leak and fix it.
    +1
    I saw that Jason said, "A little air is no problem," but I found it to be an aggravating problem last year. I had a small suction-side leak and it caused my water to look cloudy most of last season. When I finally fixed the leak, the water cleared up like magic. Seems my water wasn't cloudy from the normal reasons (algae or insufficient filtration), just extremely well aerated, with lots of tiny bubbles.

May not really be a problem, but I think you'll be happier if you fix it.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Double check that the swivel side of your vacuum hose is attached to the vacuum head, not the skimmer adapter. (if that's what you're using) I learned that the hard way... Lots of bubbles in the pump while trying to vacuum. Just a couple bubbles now.

If it's just a tiny hole on your pipe, I'd just take two part epoxy putty and seal it up.

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

9. Back To Top    #9

Double check that the swivel side of your vacuum hose is attached to the vacuum head, not the skimmer adapter.
    Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow.

If it's just a tiny hole on your pipe, I'd just take two part epoxy putty and seal it up.
    Problem is that it is underground. The leak guys found it with their high tech equipment, but I would have to dig it up to fix it.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

10. Back To Top    #10

Now the bubbles are gone and the pressure is back to 13, so I guess some air got into the system when vacuuming and it took several hours for it to blow out.

I checked and the swivel side of vacuum hose is attached to the vacuum head, not the skimmer adapter, so that is not the problem. I would guess there is some little air leak where the hose goes into the fitting. I'll put glue around that and see if it fixes it. If not, I don't think a few hours of lower pressure and air bubbles after I vacuum is a big problem.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have an air vent on the top of your filter? Although I guess the filters with the valve on the top do not have this release valve.

If you do, you could just purge it after vacuuming to remove the air from the filter more quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you have an air vent on the top of your filter? Although I guess the filters with the valve on the top do not have this release valve.
    Does backwash remove air?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

13. Back To Top    #13

Backwashing does remove some air but if there's air getting into the system some is going to be in there after you stop backwashing.

My top mounted multiport has an air vent. It's a small knob on the side of the valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit