Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward offline feeder cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward offline feeder cleaning

So I have this Hayward offline chlorine feeder. The one with the small black hoses. I bought a 2nd one because I used some Magic Lube on the first one. These things are only good for about 2 years. At that point they get so much crust on them that you can't close them properly. Since I have 2 I would like to clean up the old one and get it ready to replace the one that is currently online. So my question is. How do I get the crust out of this thing and how do I clean up the Magic Lube mess? I know the seals are replaceable and have done that many times. Also I think I read about using silicone instead of Magic Lube. Any advice would be great.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2
    Which model do you have, CL100 series or CL200 series.
    Magid lube is what you want to use. It is teflon based. Magic Lube II is silicone based and is actually more 'gunky' then the teflon one.

3. Back To Top    #3

It is the CL220 9lb offline version not the CL200 Inline version. I will have to look at the tube of magic lube then because it is thick and gunky now. It does not slide smooth at all it just sticks to everything.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

4. Back To Top    #4

The only place you need to remove the crust is where the o-ring(CL-200K) makes the seal at the top - I usually use a razor knife for this, though I'll use a file if one's handy -- You just want to scrape off the offending crust, if you take too much of the plastic, you'll never get it to seal again. If there is a bunch of the crud in the flow tube, invert the unit and scrape that out with a flathead screwdriver and rinse (you don't want this stuff clogging the control valve). If you get no flow through it the control knob comes off easily and an awl or finish nail can clear any obstruction, also check the backflow-prevention fitting on the effluent port and make sure the ball moves freely.

Thanks for reminding me about the CL 220 - over the next 2 months I'll be 'playing' with over 200 of them
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)