Getting a pool ready after 2 years

Apr 5, 2012
Hey guys! Well, I posted something in the pump forum because I thought my pump was going bad. Well, y'all were right it's just nasty. So, about my adventure. We recently bought a house with a green pool. We have found out that the pool has been this way for two years. We are steadily getting leaves and limbs off the bottom and trying to get the chemistry right. Taking advice from the articles and forums on this board, I believe that I'm on the right track. Here is where I am right now:
PH-7.8
FC-2
CC-8
TA-140
CYA-<20

I've got stabilizer in the skimmer and this has been there for about three days now. The CYA test is getting murky, so I think it's working (it was very clear). Any suggestions going forward?

Getting as much debris off the bottom as possible is one of the key steps. Objects on the bottom, especially leaves, can protect algae from chlorine, allowing it to bounce back very quickly.

The other thing that helps is to find time when you can concentrate on the pool for a number of hours in a row and maintain the FC level through that period. Concentrated attention like that is much more effective than simply adding chlorine twice a day.

If you haven't already, take a look at Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis for lots more detail.

Well, it's been three weeks now. We have gotten all the trash out that we can and have been running the pump 24/7. We have kept the FC levels at 12 or higher by adding bleach about twice a day. However, now it looks like we have mustard algae. So, we bumper the FC even higher now. I still have a few concerns. One of these is the pump. We were back washing the pump regularly because of the pressure, but now the pressure is very slow to climb. Well, I'm open to suggestions guys.

Current measurements
FC-25
CC-8
TC-33
CYA-40
PH-7.6
TA-150
Temp -70

The pool is mostly shaded too.

Thanks,

That's quite unusual to have algae when you have held the FC up that high for that long. However, you have no other option than to continue your FC around where it is 24/7 and continue to clean and backwash your filter until the algae clears.

Well, I tested the water again this morning and here are the numbers.
FC 20
CC 6
PH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 25

The water is a cloudy green still. I'm hoping that I'm still on the right track. I've got friends that are telling me to flock it. I'm resisting though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.