Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raise thru-wall skimer height?

1. Back To Top    #1

Raise thru-wall skimer height?

I'm reinstalling my used doughboy, I got the walls up today, reinstalled my top rails double checking the fit. I have a 2 new hydrotools wide mouth skimmers on order so I'll need to re shape or cut a new openings. The current factory hole is about 3" below the top rail. Is there any reason I shouldn't raise my skimmer height?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raise thru-wall skimer height?

I can't think of a reason it can't be raised. I think mine is right under the bead retainer. There's only about 3" from the waterline to the top of the wall.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Why arn't in-wall skimmers made elongated to accomidate more of a fluxuation in water level and have some kind of adjustment or maybe a floating basket?

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine has a weir door and will accomodate about a 3" variation in water level. I figure that's pretty good as you should keep your pool level within that range anyway. The weir is what makes the skimmer efficient at different levels.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

M over-wall skimmer accomidates about 12" of variation! BEAT THAT, LOL!