Fighting PH

b1021

Dec 12, 2011
I just recently did a complete drain and have been working to get my PH inline. It seems to keep going up after I work it down with MA. I've been adding acid for a few weeks, as my PH would come down to 7.6 the work its way back to 8 a few days later. Just wondering if this takes some time to level out or am I missing something? I've only about 2/3 of a gallon of acid in a three week period.

FC - 3
PH - 7.8 ( it was 7.6 the other day)
TA - 100
CYA - 30

Thanks!

Sounds normal. You still have semi-high TA, which tends to push pH up. And if you have a spa or a waterfall or anything at all that aerates things, it makes it do it faster. When you plug numbers into Pool Calculator, down near the bottom you'll see "Effects of adding chemicals." Plug in whatever amount of acid it calls for and you'll see that although it may lower pH a fair amount, it has very little effect on Total Alkalinity. So you have to do it over and over and over. Eventually, you'll get TA down to the sweet spot for your pool and pH will stabilize.

Each time the pH rises to 7.8, lower it back to 7.2. Over time, this will lower the TA which will help slow the pH rise.

Also, if you have any water features or even returns that break the water surface, that will cause the pH to rise.

This pool is more than one year old, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.