Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting PH

I just recently did a complete drain and have been working to get my PH inline. It seems to keep going up after I work it down with MA. I've been adding acid for a few weeks, as my PH would come down to 7.6 the work its way back to 8 a few days later. Just wondering if this takes some time to level out or am I missing something? I've only about 2/3 of a gallon of acid in a three week period.

FC - 3
    PH - 7.8 ( it was 7.6 the other day)
    TA - 100
    CYA - 30

14,387 Gallons; Sand Triton II TR 100; IG; Pebble; WhisperFlow 1 1/2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Fighting PH

Sounds normal. You still have semi-high TA, which tends to push pH up. And if you have a spa or a waterfall or anything at all that aerates things, it makes it do it faster. When you plug numbers into Pool Calculator, down near the bottom you'll see "Effects of adding chemicals." Plug in whatever amount of acid it calls for and you'll see that although it may lower pH a fair amount, it has very little effect on Total Alkalinity. So you have to do it over and over and over. Eventually, you'll get TA down to the sweet spot for your pool and pH will stabilize.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Each time the pH rises to 7.8, lower it back to 7.2. Over time, this will lower the TA which will help slow the pH rise.

Also, if you have any water features or even returns that break the water surface, that will cause the pH to rise.

This pool is more than one year old, right?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Read the article in pool school about lowering your TA. That is probably what is pulling your pH up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure of the age of the pool, less than 10 years. I don't have any water features. I'll check out the TA info on here and work from there. Thanks everyone!
    14,387 Gallons; Sand Triton II TR 100; IG; Pebble; WhisperFlow 1 1/2 HP Pump