Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool and first time owner please help with bbb

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool and first time owner please help with bbb

Pool has been sitting for 1.5 weeks. I vacuumed like crazy after we had some serious wind storms but the water is really cloudy. Yesterday I added salt and that is all I have done. I do have a swg . Pump is now running on low for 24/7. I pulled out my test kit and tested but the only thing I can report is

pH 8.0
    Salt is 3400 ppm

There is really nothing else reading anything? No clorine, free combined or total. Cya did not register either.

Should I just be patient and let my swg work or should I shock my cloudy water into submission? Or perhaps I am totally off base. We don't plan on kicking on the heater until our nights are above 48 at least so that gives me a month to figure this out.

Thanks so much.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool and first time owner please help with bbb

Shock it into submission, and get some CYA in there!! What test kit you got?
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

3. Back To Top    #3

Please bookmark The Pool Calculator (link in my sig line below) on your browser. You will need it to calculate dosages for chemicals in your pool.

Go ahead and turn your SWCG off. You need to shock your pool. Although some advocate for using the SWCG to do this, we have found that using your SWCG to shock can shorten the life of the cell. Besides, it is easier to just shock with manual dosed chemicals because you can get the FC up quickly.

So, do this...

1. lower pH to 7.2 using acid, either dry or muriatic acid.
    2. Add some CYA to the pool. Just enough to bring it up to 30 ppm for now.
    3. Using bleach, add enough bleach to raise your FC to 12 ppm. Keep it as close to 12 as possible throughout the time that you are shocking. You are done shocking when your FC holds to within 1 ppm or less loss overnight, your CC is 0.5 or less, and your water is clear. Keep running the pump until you are finished shocking.

Also, please read...pool-school/shocking_your_pool and pool-school/defeating_algae

4. Back To Top    #4

Tf-100 of course Is there a good area in pool school or a thread on shocking? Is there more to it then just adding a bunch of bleach?
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow you beat me to it! You guys are great.

6. Back To Top    #6

First lower your pH to 7.4ish, circulate half an hour and then start the shock process.

Using the sock method, add enough CYA to get to about 30.

After you add the bleach (wait 30 minutes), you can test FC & CC.

What's your water temp?

ETA: Using your TF100, post a full set of test results

257 types faster
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaclave
    Tf-100 of course Is there a good area in pool school or a thread on shocking? Is there more to it then just adding a bunch of bleach?
    As 257WbyMag posted above http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School