Is 1/2 hp pump big enough

amd250

Jun 18, 2011
I have a 15x42 intex pool, the one with the aluminun frame. I was given a Hayward st166t Filter. What size pump do I need? It has 5500 Gallons I think.
Is 1/2 hp big enough? Is this filter overkill. Should I sell it and get something else?

Thanks.

Tony

Listing only the HP of the pump doesn't really specify what size pump it is. The definition of HP has been "adjusted" by marketing types so that it really doesn't tell you much any more. Some 1/2 HP pumps would be fine on that pool, others would be just a little to small.

Your best bet is to get a slightly larger, 3/4 HP or 1 HP, two speed pump. It will cost a little more up front, but the savings on electricity from running on low speed will more than make up for it. That way you have low speed to be energy efficient and high speed in case some situation comes up where you need a little more power (like vacuuming).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.