Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excessive pressure in filter after valve replacement

Re: Excessive pressure in filter after valve replacement

You can take a water hose and run water over the fittings and valves and see if the pump changes sound and the bubbles go away or lessen. If that happens you've found your leak. You can seal the line up in the pool and rig a way to pressure test it from the pump end.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Senior Member In the Industry

Checking the line between the pump and pool strainer is a lkittle hard to since it is buried
    Of course......and the leak is almost never underground. I can remember only one underground suction leak on this forum in 4 years. That doesn't mean that you aren't the second one, but it's incredibly rare.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

OK fellas... I think I have my marching orders for the weekend... Let's all hope and pray that my next post will be one of excitement of solving the problem!

For sure let us know one way or another. These issues are often VERY hard to find but are frequently something really simple.

I had a suction side leak that I tried to live with but my pool pump is so hard to prime I was determined to find it.....I couldn't.

Next, I decided to modify a couple of things on the suction side anyway and, in so doing, accidentally fixed that leak. To this day, I have no idea what component it was that was leaking and it hasn't leaked since.
    Dave S.
    TFTestkits owner

Dave, I noticed a leak at a joint, but it is after the filter on the return side to the pool. dont think that is the problem, but it is on the "to do list".

but it is after the filter on the return side to the pool. dont think that is the problem
    that joint is pressureized (when running) and only leaks water out....it will not suck air in.
    Dave S.
    TFTestkits owner

OK Folks here we go... after a week of lots of rain and other challenges I'm back here to give ya'll an update. Last Saturday I used some dish soap to try to find the leak..no help... I was tired of hearing the pump struggle so I turned on the water to prime the pump...that night it rained and topped off the pool water level... i wnet out of town for the next two days and when I came back the pump was running smoothly. I thought the problem had solved it self. Today the pump pressure was high, so I did my back wash and added DE.. and now the pump is cavitating and struggling again. Water level is still very high, new O ring on the pump stainer.. I'm pulling my hair out again! I just dont know what to do....

Remind us what all you've done looking for the leak? (skimmer weir, drain plugs, basket lid o-ring, etc.)

Suction leaks can be a pain to find. Run water over the plumbing fittings while the pump is running and see if the bubbles go away.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

here's the update..no leaks... just letting the pressure stay high and back washing not as often... the higher pressure stops the pump noise!

okay...am i the only one that didn't understand that update?