Excessive pressure in filter after valve replacement

ok I cracked open the pump..no clogged impeller...

pump striner is full of water...but it has bubbles in the top of it..all most like a foam?!? and I have noticed that there is more air bubble coming from the outlet jets in the pool. looks like it might be sucking air?

The common places for a suction side leak are the pump basket lid o-ring, pump drain plugs, Skimmer and skimmer weir as Linen said. Clean and lube the lid o-ring and reseal the drain plugs and check the weir for proper operation. If those don't solve the problem come back and we'll have more suggestions.

OK here's the up date... water level good, skimmer not closed or preventing proper water supply ( i've been there before), I did apply a silicone grease to the O ring at the pump skimmer lid, no improvement. I think I will order a new O ring and see if that solves the problem (local supply did not have one). I will drain pump and use the silicine grease on the pump plugs when I get home at lunch to see how that effects the operation. I will keep ya'll updated.

You guys are super... thanks for the help!

OK FOlks.... :wave: plugs tefloned! strainer weir fully operational, pool water level good, pump strainer sealing properly....

Yet still no pressure... ( 2 - 4 lbs) operating pressure 12 psi
Additional info:
When I installed the new valve for the Pentair 48 DE filter, the intake for the filter function (goes into the bottom of the filter has a pipe inside of the filter that makes a 90. The position of the 90 (up or down) was not in any of Pentiar's diagrams, so I put it facing upward toward the grids... could the 90 be filled or partialially blocked with DE? What is the proper position up or down? could this be the source of the lost pressure..siince the loss of pressure was a gradual thing?

Ideas??? Comments??? :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pump strainer basket is full of water but looks like foam at the top of it??? I have a water primer valve that I can use to add water to the pump if needed at start up and when I turn the water on the pump struggles less and the pressure rises to 8 psi.

Low pressure is generally a problem before the pump, so it's probably not a filter issue. You are looking for insufficient water flow to the pump, which can be from low whater level, skimmer weir issues or restricted plumbing, or an air leak before the impeller. You've checked the more common points.

Are their any unions or valves before the pump? Valves can leak around the stem.

Try running a hose from the pump back to the skimmer to check for leaves or other debris.

Thanks John, I'm actually goiong to call a local plumber and have him snake out the line between the pump and pool. I used a do it your self snakeand a high pressure bulb on th end of a hose but it didnt help. I'll keep ya'll posted.

another question... could the DE Im using to charge the filter ( I premix the DE; 4-5 lbs; with water in a 5 gallon bucket and gradually pour it into the pool skimmer) accumulate and partially clog the line?

( I premix the DE; 4-5 lbs; with water in a 5 gallon bucket and gradually pour it into the pool skimmer) accumulate and partially clog the line?
Absolutely not. I doubt if it could clog if you tried to but mixing it slowly in like you do, there is virt6ually no chance.

Here is the latest.... Plummer just left the house... He ran a professional snake between the pool strainer and pump... no obstructions... after watching the pump operate, his diagonsis is pump cavatation caused by a possible impeller problem..since I have already checked the impeller for clogs, he suggests that I try to tighten the impeller. He came to the loose impeller decision because when the water prime valve is turned on, the added water pressure 'quitens" the noisy impellar/pump. any suggestions ideas? looks like I'm going back into the pump!

Everything is pointing to a suction side leak. Air getting into the suction somewhere. It makes a noise trying to pump air and when you add water to the suction, it quietens the noise down and raises the filter pressure because it's pumping less air and more water.

I'll bet you will eventually find a suction side leak. If the prop is loose, you could turn it without turning the motor and that's a real stretch to begin with.

I haven't gone back and read the entire thread but I think if you will check EVERYTHING possible between the pump and the skimmer, you will find the leak. make triple positive the oring is seated correctly with no gaps....etc, etc.

Checking the line between the pump and pool strainer is a lkittle hard to since it is buried. Is there a method to check joints (like using soapy water on a gas joint) to check for the suction leak? there are very few joint I can check without digging up the line and busting out a patio slab.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.