Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baquacil in a closed pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Baquacil in a closed pool?

Just curious, how long does Baquacil last in a closed pool. I've purchased a swamp that's been closed at least two years. Just this past weekend I found some paperwork and a test kit relating to baquacil in the garage. I'm not sure if it was used or not. What happens to the Baqua levels in a pool that's not maintained? I'm hoping it's gone by now, it's already going to take a load of bleach to shock this swamp without Baquacil adding to it.
    1971 Anthony 20x40 In-ground Vinyl, 1Hp Super Pump, 244t sand filter

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Baquacil in a closed pool?

Probably gone but there are few here with much baquacil pool experience. Plenty of folks to help convert to chlorine but few with any long-term experience of maintaining one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've maintained a baquacil pool for the last 5 years or so. I'll offer you this. Swap no matter what. Even if it takes more chlorine (doubt it will as our levels of all baquacil dropped a TON each winter let alone two years) you're much better off switching now as it sounds like you're planning on doing.

I'd guess there's still some baqua sanatizer that will show up and it wouldn't shock me if some low levels of algicide could show up as well. The algicide however is the same stuff wether its a chlorine pool or a baquacil pool, so no worries there.

4. Back To Top    #4

There shouldn't be any measurable level of baqua sanitizer left in the water. However there will be related breakdown products in the water, which will require a conversion process when switching to chlorine. That process should go noticeably faster than it would if baqua had been used recently, but it still needs to be done before using chlorine (assuming that is what you want to do).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, definitely converting over to chlorine. Just trying to get a handle on what's in store for me. Once I get my power and plumbing rerouted I'll start to get this thing cleared up.
    1971 Anthony 20x40 In-ground Vinyl, 1Hp Super Pump, 244t sand filter

Big dreams, no cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed in with little bit of stupidity!