problems adding DE to sand filter

rsharp

Jun 12, 2010
hello! im in the process of clearing my pool. im about 6 inches away from seeing the bottom!!!! ive been adding DE to my filter to clear the pool faster. only problem is i cant add not a teaspoon more than 1/4 cup. if its just 1/4 cup the pool filters just fine if i add a little more the filter clogs right up. maybe this isnt a problem (lol) but after reading the "how to" i figured the sand filter should be able to handle more DE than that. stats are in my signature! also i replaced my sand last year and this sand is much finer. i wonder if that might be the cause.

This is a common problem with new DE filters as well. The improved filtering from adding DE causes the system to catch a lot of very fine debris that has been in the water for a long time and passes right through the sand. If you go through a couple of cycles of adding just a little more DE, waiting till the filter pressure goes up, and then backwashing, the filter will catch the extra fine debris and after a couple, maybe several, cycles of that the water will be cleaner and the filter will go longer even with the extra DE in it. This process is extra work, but it does clear up the water more quickly.

I have plenty of time! so if i read your message correctly each time i do a new "cycle" with the DE i add a little more and eventually it would have cleared most of the fine particles so the DE wont get clogged as fast thus the filter wont get clogged as fast!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.