Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timers - Mechanical versus Digital?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jonesboro, GA

Timers - Mechanical versus Digital?

The Intermatic timer controlling my 240 V 1 hp pump and SWG seems to have "croaked." The movement will neither turn the load on or off, and I can't see any way to fix it.

I'm considering either a replacement Intermatic T 104 or perhaps the Aube by Honeywell electronic programmable with all kinds of bells and whistles. Anyone have experience with the Aube? Which one would you choose? The difference in cost is under $20, not a real considertion. Many thanks.
    This email is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and in no way are to be considered flaws.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Timers - Mechanical versus Digital?

Hey George in Georgia. I'm using a GE timer that's digital timer 120/240. Picked up at Home Depot for under $50. The only problem I had was a nearby lightning strike and or some power surges burned up some resistors. Just picked up another and replaced the circuit board so didn't have to completely uninstall and reinstall. Hope that helps.
    Rectangle vinyl IG 28,000 gal w/cuddle cove Hayward Super pump 1hp w/sand filter 64/gal/min.
    Deck sprays.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I find mechanical timers a lot more intuitive to set. Most people don't need instructions to set the time and install the on/off dogs. And changing the run time is just as easy. Again, no instructions needed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

NE Florida

you might just have a motor that crapped out on your timer. Mine did that last year and I bought a replacement motor for about $15 at Grainger and replaced it. They are simple to replace.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp