Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Woods of North Florida

Couple of issues

1. When I turn the handle on my sand filter it makes clicking noises. It didn't used to. Is this a problem?

2. I am using Wanda the Whale to clean and there are a little bit of pine needles on the bottom. Not much but enough to clog the pump basket. When I empty the basket and start to run the pump, the pump basket area doesn't fill all the way back up and the return water isn't strong. I have to backwash for just a few seconds then it works fine (until the next time it is clogged). This doesn't seem right. Any ideas what is wrong?

As always, thanks for the advice!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Couple of issues

1) Maybe, maybe not. I know that's not an answer but it all depends. Does it seem to be catching, sticking or dragging when you're moving it. (you are stopping the pump aren't you?)

2) What is your filter pressure before and after you backwash? It sounds like you're not backwashing long enough.

Post a set of test results too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Couple of issues

Check your impellor for pine needles that is most likely why it doesn't fill the basket. As for the filter head take it apart and see if any sand is in it.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics