Easytouch programming for pool/spa combo with one valve.

jr219

Oct 2, 2011
Have combo Pool/Spa. Easytouch 8. don't know how previous owner had it programed, but I'm trying to figure out the best way.

Have a Inteliflo variable speed pump. This takes up "Pump" and Aux 1, 2, 3 for 4 different speeds. I normally just run it on the Filter Pump setting. The filter pump relay also supplies power to the Intellichlor. Aux 5 controls the Spa Jet Pump and Aux 6 controls the blower. The heater is also controlled via the relay in the EasyTouch via fireman's switch in Pentair MasterTemp.

There is a valve which controls the "pool return" to the spa. This supplies pool water to the fountain pipe and also a single jet to push water towards the overflow. This is connected to the "RETURN" connection on the Easytouch board.

My question is.

When I put things in Spa mode what should happen? Right now the pool pump turns off and the valve turns and then I have to activate the Aux 5 to get the spa jets going..

What I would like happen is keep the pool pump on and just turn the valve to prevent cold pool water from coming into the spa and let the spa pump recirculate the water through the heater in the spa?

what is the best way to program this?

thanks!

-jr

The key to the programming is in how you name the circuits. I'm going by memory so this may not be exactly right but hopefully it will point you in the right direction. We have a combo Pool/Spa and the Inteliflo VS pump controls both the pool and spa. Like you, normally we're just running on the standard pool filtration mode. This is a low speed setting. I have another button on the Easy touch marked SPA. When I push that button, the intelliflo increases in speed to the max setting. The valves move automatically to only circulated water in the spa. I think the key driver was naming the circuit SPA in the setup. This told the system how to configure the valves. We have another setting for SPILLWAY, which directs all of the pool returns to the spa. In this mode, we just get a larger volume of water spilling out of the SPA.

One thing I didn't understand in your post is whether you had a separate pump for the SPA. If so, I'm not sure why. Both functions can be handled by the one pump. Even if you have two though, I would think the EasyTouch could handle the setup. An example of this is with our infloor cleaning system. It runs on a separate 1HP pump dedicated to the cleaning system. The circuit name is CLEANER. When I schedule this function to come on in the Easy Touch, the cleaning pump turns on, and the Intelliflo pump increases in RPM to another set speed.

Woodberg said:
One thing I didn't understand in your post is whether you had a separate pump for the SPA. If so, I'm not sure why. Both functions can be handled by the one pump. Even if you have two though, I would think the EasyTouch could handle the setup. An example of this is with our infloor cleaning system. It runs on a separate 1HP pump dedicated to the cleaning system. The circuit name is CLEANER. When I schedule this function to come on in the Easy Touch, the cleaning pump turns on, and the Intelliflo pump increases in RPM to another set speed.

Thanks. I know. It is odd the way it is configured.

In the spa has 6 jets connected through the heater and on the spa pump. The input to the spa pump are the two drains in the spa. There is one jet on the wall (across from spillway) and one more on the floor of the spa which are connected to the output of the main pool pump. The temperature sensor for the spa is connected on the output of the spa pump.

In the normal operation the pool pump is on pumping water into the spa which spills over into the pool. I need two things to happen for spa mode. I need a valve to turn preventing pool water from going into the spa and I need the spa pump to come on. The valve I have is on the output of my pool pump.

My issue is, when I turn on "Spa Mode".. I'd like the Intelliflo to remain on, and the spa pump to turn on.

It should be straightforward to set that up, but it is difficult to explain, especially without knowing how your system is currently programmed and if you have a single body system or a two body system. It takes some effort to wrap your head around the way you program an EasyTouch system. Once you figure it out, and set things up they way they were designed to be used it get much simpler.

The SPA mode can definitely interact with the valves. On our system, I have a button programmed that says SPA. When I push it, the intelliflo increases in speed and the valve is turned which stops all pool water from returning to the SPA.

I know its not exactly the same thing but we also have a button progammed on our Easytouch labeled CLEANER. When I push that button, the intelliflo increases in speed by about 20%, and the dedicated cleaning pump (Whisperflo) is turned on. When I turn off CLEANER mode, the cleaning pump turns off and the Intelliflo returns to its normal low speed for general circulation.

It definitely sounds like you should be able to do what you want. My guess is that you would have one button on your Easytouch programmed as POOL and a second programmed as SPA. You may have another programmed as LIGHTS. I can't think of another one that you would need unless you wanted to have a couple of higher speed circulation settings programmed.

You may want to call Pentair and see if they can help you get it programmed correctly. Our pool builder did not get ours setup right the first time. A pentair Rep came out and finished the detailed programming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.