Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Enery Efficiency

1. Back To Top    #1

Enery Efficiency

So, Im looking to see if it would be worthwhile to upgrade my entire pool pump and or the motor to save a few bucks on my electrical bill. I'm looking for anyone who may have done the same and if any significant savings were observed. My current set up is:
    Hayward S44T Sand Filter with a rated 63gpm
    Hayward Multiport SP714 rated flow 75gpm
    Jacuzzi magnum Pump with AO Centurion B128 1hp motor

I have a large Inground Gunite that holds approx 35k gallons (give or take)....

If I could simply get away upgrading the motor to a more efficient model it would be perfect, but I am having difficulty locating same...Any help such as comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Enery Efficiency

A 2-speed pump might be worth doing. Do you know your kWH rate from the electric company? How long do you run your current pump on average?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The easiest thing to do would be to change the motor for a 2-speed model. If you match the high speed SFHP, the frame and the voltage most┬*any motor┬*will work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I currently run my current pump approx 12 hours, I'm not sure of the rate I pay for electric....

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's currently a single speed and you switch the motor to a 2-speed you can run it 24 hours a day and still save a good bit of money.

The easiest way to figure your electric rate is to take the amount of the bill minus any outside lights, etc, and divide that by the kwh used. That way you get all the taxes and fees figured in without having to do a bunch of complicated math. It's not completely accurate but it's pretty close.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there anything involved with switching a single stage motor for a 2 stage motor that is different from changing a single to a single??

7. Back To Top    #7

The only difference is that you have to have a switch, if the new motor doesn't come with one. They're easy to find and hook up.

Post back once you get it and we can guide you through hooking it up. It's best to get the motor with the switch but it's not a big deal if you don't.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator