Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy Touch, Intelliflo, and IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Easy Touch, Intelliflo, and IC40

The more I read, the more confused I get. Need advice on wiring this up. I'm seeing 2 different recommendations. Do Intelliflo and IC40 wire direct to breaker, or to the filter pump relay?
    If to the relay, what is the proper wiring from breaker to relay and relay to equipment?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Easter!

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy Touch, Intelliflo, and IC40

The answer is: it depends. When using a compatible automation system you wire the IntelliFlo directly to the breaker. But if you are using an incompatible automation system you might well want to wire the IntelliFlo to the relay. The SWG normally gets wired to the pump relay, but there are rare cases where the pump relay doesn't do the correct thing and you need to wire the SWG to the breaker.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is all Pentair equipment. If the pump wires direct to breaker, I still have to feed from breaker to relay as well if IC40 is to hook to relay correct?

18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Also need advice on wiring the 12 volt LED lights to ne controlled by Easy Touch. The lights came with their own transformer. I'm so lost, and so is everyone I'm paying to supposedly take care of a of this...

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

OK...finally figured out wiring. Almost finished with that. Next dilemma will be figuring out how to program everything, lol

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

The intelliflo and the SWG both get wired directly to a breaker. They both work by way of rs485 communications to go on or off. The SWG won't go on unless its flow sensor shows the required flow through the SWG and it gets a a signal by way of the rs485 data connection from the automation. The SWG can be wired for either 240 or 120 volts so be careful. As for the 12 volt lights. If it's a plug in transformer you'll have to wire an outlet to one of the relays in the automation cabinet. Make sure you know what you're doing and make sure you're using the correct breaker (GFCI where required).
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks jongig. On the 12 volt lights:
    We wired a gfci breaker to one of the aux relays, then fed the 12 volt transformer from that relay. I've not had a chance to test it yet though. Was this not the correct method?
    I have an electrician doing all of the wiring. I'm just doing the research so we can get it right

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassman
    Thanks jongig. On the 12 volt lights:
    We wired a gfci breaker to one of the aux relays, then fed the 12 volt transformer from that relay. I've not had a chance to test it yet though. Was this not the correct method?
    I have an electrician doing all of the wiring. I'm just doing the research so we can get it right

From the GFCI you fed the hot/black wire to the relay and then to the transformer, you connected the neutral/white wire from the GFCI to the transformer, correct. The only note would be is that most transformers are not made to connect directly to a breaker box but have a 120 volt plug. If the transformer has a plug you must add a outlet box to plug it in to.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

9. Back To Top    #9

The transformer has no plug. Testing with a meter, we find that the relay is not closing. It has to be a setting/circuit name/function issue. I've spent 4 hours messing with it this evening and I'm about ready to tear it out and go with no automation and simple timers.

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Easy Touch system remains a hurdle. Can run filter pump and IC-40, but no look with lights and booster pump. Someone coming to look at system tomorrow..wish is luck!

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir