Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oval pool installation beside existing deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oval pool installation beside existing deck?

I have ordered a 15x30 x54" Sharkline Matrix pool with a unibead liner. My existing deck is about 48" off the ground. I would love to be able to but the pool up to the deck. Anybody have any experience with this? Any tips or ideas?

Should the top rail go over,under, or beside the deck? This will e my first pool install. I am going to pay to have the grading done. I just need to figure this out so that i know how deep to have them dig.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Sharkline Matrix 15' x 30' x 54" Oval, Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP OptiFlo Dual speed Pump, TF-100 test kit, borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oval pool installation beside existing deck?

I like the top rail above the deck, but others like it below. It's really your call.
    Is your existing deck a straight deck?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I "extended" an existing deck to come up to my AGP buried 2 feet. Wifey wants me to make a bench down the side for more seating room and so she can dip her tootsies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Personally I like the look you went with, but on our install I went flush with the top of the rail. Dipping feet in, as you mentioned, was desired, also, I was concerned that someone could trip over a raised ledge and fall in. With the flush deck you have to keep everyone from standing on the rail though.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Our deck is straight.

If you put the top rail above the existing deck would i still be able to fasten them on or would the deck be in the way?

Wouldnt putting the top rail under the edge of the deck keep people from standing on the rail? But then again would that make liner changes harder?
    Sharkline Matrix 15' x 30' x 54" Oval, Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, 1-1/2 HP OptiFlo Dual speed Pump, TF-100 test kit, borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Depending on how the caps are fastened, it could make it harder to install them, but then again, so could placing them below the deck.

Putting the deck over the top does stop people from standing on the caps, but so far that hasn't been a problem for us.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

My caps swivel open, so the deck is in way, if I have to remove caps I have to remove some boards, it's just the way it is. To be completely free of the rail the deck would have to be +- 3 inches below the top rail. I like that look, but tripping was a concern and the wife wanted to dip the feet.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a similar pool (matrix), the top rail opens upwards from the inside of the pool to the outside (almost like it is on swivels), when we had our deck built our installer told us we could do the deck however we wanted, but the top rails need to pivot up to change the liner, for this reason we built our deck under the top rail, but than added picture frame trim (deck boards cut out in to fit around the small gap between the deck and top rail) so the deck is level with the bottom of the top rail (support, and keep toes out), and if and when the liner has to be changed the picture frame trim is removable and the rail can be opened up. We haven't had any problems with kids standing on the top rails in the deck area.
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome. Thanks all

10. Back To Top    #10

swanny297 could you please post some photos of your pool deck design? this sounds like exactly what we would like to do. thanks so much.

11. Back To Top    #11

Anybody with a 54" sharkline know exactly how tall it is to the top of the rails?

Thanks,
    Ron

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by askweres
    swanny297 could you please post some photos of your pool deck design? this sounds like exactly what we would like to do. thanks so much.
    +1 I would like to see that as well.

13. Back To Top    #13

woodyp,
    Do you have pics of your pool? Mine is going to be buried 2 feet and i would like to get an idea of how fart out of the ground it will be.

Nevermind. I found them.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator