Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alot of water from site glass etc.

1. Back To Top    #1

Alot of water from site glass etc.

I have about a 1 ft arc of water coming out of the site glass when I backwash. I know that some water is normal but is this much water normal or not? Also, should the air relief valve be completely closed? Is there such a thing as too much pressure inside the filter?

Could either of these have anything to do with sand returning into the pool?

My RPM's on my pump are at 2600.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alot of water from site glass etc.

Any water coming out of the sight glass is not normal. The rubber O ring under the glass most likely needs to be replaced. Sand retuning to the pool could mean a bad spider gasket on the multiport valve or a broken lateral.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh ok. Interesting you say no water is supposed to be coming out. Wonder why my pool company who installed our pool said a small amount of water coming out of that site glass was normal when you are in backwash mode?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When your in backwash water should come out if you undo the glass. If your in filter mode no water should come out of the sight glass no water should going thru that pipe.

5. Back To Top    #5

There are always a few drips coming out of my sight glass when backwashing. I would replace it if it gets bad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Repeating what bk406 said, it is not normal for water to come out of the sight glass. Replacing that o-ring should fix it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Which filter do you have? On my filter the sight glass acts as a sight glass and vacuum relief so there's a little rubber flap covering the openings and it usually drips out there a little.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Pentair SD-80. I unscrewed the sight glass and I see that I also have a small very flat looking rubber flap/disc covering the openings however it is slightly warped. Wonder if this could be allowing more water than normal to come out?

Also questioned if anyone knows whether or not the air relief valve should be completely off?

9. Back To Top    #9

That's probably what your problem is. I'd just replace it.

The air relief valve should be completely closed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok. Thanks for the help/advice.