Wiring 220V Toggle Switch for new Pump

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
I replaced my old 2HP pump today and when opening the old toggle switch box, there was a fair amount of corrosion on the toggle switch. I picked up a two pole (30A) switch which showed the two hots connect to the bottom two screws (one on each side) and then the switch activates the two legs from the two top screws (one on each side).

The old switch I pulled out was wired like a common 115V with two hots on one side, and then the legs on the other.

Am I missing something? I wired it up as the manufacturer diagram. I can always check to see if both legs are dead when switched off, and both live when on, but I figured I'd ask here before throwing the breaker in case the pump could get upset if it sees only 115V of one leg, if I'm missing something.

Here's the wiring diagram, and how I wired it. The Load here would be the pump.

[attachment=0:19f0yn2o]2pole switch.JPG[/attachment:19f0yn2o]

Attachments

• 2pole switch.JPG
    2pole switch.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 153
Bama Rambler said:
X2.
Just to interject, a lot of 220 volt pump installations only switch one leg. I don't like that, but it's done a lot.

In the manual for the intelliflo, it stated both legs should switch at the same time. So as long as the switch manufacturer's drawing is correct, that is what should happen.

scooperhsd said:
Using the DPDT switch (as in OP's original post - switch is out by pump) is exactly how I have my pump hooked up after the timer in my shed. IMO, not doing it this way is setting yourself up for a potential shock or worse.

Yep. The way it was wired previously seemed to leave one side of the load always hot, which woudl surprise someone if they thought the switch truely meant "off" when switched to "off".

Naturally, switching one leg is common for 120V, where only one leg is hot.

I hate to be this blunt, but wiring 220V that way is, in my opinion, irresponsible and dangerous, and done by people who don't want to put forth the time, money, or effort to do it right.

Ohm_Boy said:
I hate to be this blunt, but wiring 220V that way is, in my opinion, irresponsible and dangerous, and done by people who don't want to put forth the time, money, or effort to do it right.
Completely agree! My note was more of a warning so someone doesn't get caught off guard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.