Algae re-entering pool while vaccuming

Mar 31, 2012
Gheens, LA
Ok so I got my Intex 2650 sand filter in and running and decided to vaccum some today. Well when I hit the algae on the bottom at the middle of the pool it seemed to just recirculate into the pool. Is there a way to stop this from happening?>

Sounds like the sand is channelled - but you just added this filter, right?

You might wanna give some details on how much sand you put in the filter. And, did you rinse it before starting to filter?

Does any sand return to the pool along with the algae?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I have the next day the pressure was up and the water was at a trickle at th return so I backwashed then rinsed then restarted but I noticed the pressure hasn't climbed a whole lot since then. I think I'm gonna take the 6 way off and look at the sand see if I can see any channeling

Also I didn't really mention it but it returns in a reen cloud not as whole algae particles. I removed the 6 way and did whatg they suggest to the sand when you suspect channeling so I'm gonna let it run a bit and try it out again and see what I get.

Well I pulled the valve shoved a hose in and out the sand til the water cam out clear. then leveled the sand backwashed, rinse and restarted. I let it filter for a while then re-vacuumed. There wasn't as much coming through but still got a green fog coming back into the pool. How would I go about checking the 6 way for problems?

When vacuuming very fine debris, it is not uncommon for a cloud of micro-particles to get through the sand. Sand can only filter down to a certain level, and the rest will pass right through. If the flow rate is excessive for the filter, then the amount of unfiltered material will be even greater and more noticeable. Mustard algae is especially difficult to filter with a sand filter.

Hey cowboy, now would be a good time to add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.

Go to User Control Panel (upper left below TFP logo) select Profile, then Edit Sig.

Also add your location (city/state) to your profile.

This will help us troubleshoot :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.