First Time Opened

May 2, 2011
So, this is the first time I wen ahead and opened my pool without paying the big bucks to do it. Most everything is working well, it's just that seem to be drawing a little air into the system (I have some bubbles visible in the pump pot and subsequently out the supply ports into the pool). I have checked the lid on the pump pot, cleaned and re-installed the gasket, but still pulling some air. Ideas?

Also, when I started up the pool, my filter (Pentaire) has a six way multi port top mount valve, but I do not see any air ports for letting air out. Is anyone aware of where it may be? Maybe mine just does not have one (filter is 9 years old). Thanks.

Filters with top mounted multi-port valves don't normally have air vents. Air vents out through the return pipe.

Make sure the water level in the skimmer is high enough to prevent a vortex from forming that might draw air down into the system. Also double check that the drain plugs on the pump are properly installed and fully sealing.

Got it on the air vent. The water level is high enough, maybe too high as my skimmer baskets sometime "float" in the skimmer since there is not enough suction to pull them down. I will re-check my plugs etc. and let you know.

That air leak is somewhere between the pump and the skimmer.

After you shut off the pump, does almost all the water drain out of the pump basket back to the pool?

This is an IG pool, correct?

Yes this is an in ground pool. And yes, a good portion of the water does woosh and leaves the pump basket. The pool has been open for three days now, and I shut it off at night,m turn it back on in the morning, and backwash a couple of times during the day. The first couple of mornings when I turned it on, I did have to prime the pump basket to get it flowing. Today however, I did not as the pump basket was full of water. Maybe through the backwashing process I was able to get all of the air out of the lines?

I really hope I am not pulling air somewhere in between the skimmers and the pump................. That does not sound good. How on earth do you find one of those? I suppose I could isolate each skimmer separately, then do the same for the main drain to see how much air would be sucked into the system.

The most common places for a suction side leak is the pump strainer basket lid and/or the drain plug(s). Check both of those places and seal the plug(s) and inspect the o-ring good on the lid and lube it well before putting it back on.

Another common way to get air into the system is if the water level is too low causing the skimmer to suck in air, or if the skimmer weir is sticking starving the skimmer for water.

It's rare to have an underground plumbing leak. It can happen but it's rare.

Bama Rambler said:
The most common places for a suction side leak is the pump strainer basket lid and/or the drain plug(s). Check both of those places and seal the plug(s) and inspect the o-ring good on the lid and lube it well before putting it back on.

Another common way to get air into the system is if the water level is too low causing the skimmer to suck in air, or if the skimmer weir is sticking starving the skimmer for water.

It's rare to have an underground plumbing leak. It can happen but it's rare.

That's encouraging to hear. I also thought it may be the gasket on the strainer basket. I took it out and cleaned it, but didn't lube, I should try that. I did remove the drain plug, put some teflon tape on it and re-inserted. I will let you know after I re-do the gasket.

I had a similar situation last year, let's see if I have the answer.....

The new vacalert systems that have to go into new pools introduce air into the line if they are tripped. My vac alert was not working properly. I'm assuming you can look into the clear plastic valve near the pump and see the air bubbles. Put something over the vacuum spot on the vac alert and see if the bubbles stop. Mine did and all I needed to do to fix the problem was trip and untrip the "vacuum breaker" on the side of the vac alert.

Good luck.

Snewo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.