Questions on the CH test

First of all, please forgive my ignorance, but I don't have my test kit handy where I can read the exact reagents.

I'm starting the shocking process on my pool today to open it for the season. I did my first round of tests for the season using my TF test kit. The instructions for the CH test indicate you add 20 drops of solution a, then 5 drops of solution b. The water should change to red, and add solution c until it turns blue. Well, after I added the 5 drops of solution b, my water stayed clear. I tried adding solution c just to see if the water would ever turn blue, but I could not tell a difference. Am I doing something wrong, should I be concerned? :(

Thanks!

I would suggest using the high concentration CH testing instructions:

10 ml water sample
10 drops of R-0010
3 drops of R-0011L
1 drop of R-0012 repeated until solution turns blue
count the total drops of R-0012 added and multiply by 25. The result is your CH.

Additionally, it might help to follow the instructions for fading endpoint in the Taylor note found in the link below...

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=70

It certainly should have turned some color. Are you sure you added the five drops of R-0011L? R-0011L looks like a dark purple black in the bottle and should make some obvious color as it enters the sample.

JasonLion said:
It certainly should have turned some color. Are you sure you added the five drops of R-0011L? R-0011L looks like a dark purple black in the bottle and should make some obvious color as it enters the sample.

It briefly looked a dark red/purple color as I added it, but when I swirled it around it turned back to clear! I will try the high concentration instructions tonight when I retest.

Ok, I took some retests. I tried both the fading endpoint test instructions (where I add 5 drops of the reagent before adding the colorant) and I got the same result, water clear. I also tried the high concentration instructions, and again, water stayed clear. I wish I could take a video, but when I add the R-0011L, it's like it dissolves in the water, doesn't add color at all. I also tried testing our tap water with the same results. But I know last year it worked. Did maybe one of the chemicals in the test go bad?

joshs2000ss said:
I noticed my R-011L looks like a goldish brown color with a slight red tint to it. I'm thinking it went bad. Is this something that can be picked up at a local store, or would this likely be an online only purchase?

Pool stores here carry it, but, usually are old as they do not sell a lot reagents. My experience with my old k2005 was awful. I would just go to TFtestkits and get it from Dave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.