Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions on the CH test

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions on the CH test

First of all, please forgive my ignorance, but I don't have my test kit handy where I can read the exact reagents.

I'm starting the shocking process on my pool today to open it for the season. I did my first round of tests for the season using my TF test kit. The instructions for the CH test indicate you add 20 drops of solution a, then 5 drops of solution b. The water should change to red, and add solution c until it turns blue. Well, after I added the 5 drops of solution b, my water stayed clear. I tried adding solution c just to see if the water would ever turn blue, but I could not tell a difference. Am I doing something wrong, should I be concerned?

Thanks!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions on the CH test

I would suggest using the high concentration CH testing instructions:

10 ml water sample
    10 drops of R-0010
    3 drops of R-0011L
    1 drop of R-0012 repeated until solution turns blue
    count the total drops of R-0012 added and multiply by 25. The result is your CH.

Additionally, it might help to follow the instructions for fading endpoint in the Taylor note found in the link below...

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=70

3. Back To Top    #3

It certainly should have turned some color. Are you sure you added the five drops of R-0011L? R-0011L looks like a dark purple black in the bottle and should make some obvious color as it enters the sample.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It certainly should have turned some color. Are you sure you added the five drops of R-0011L? R-0011L looks like a dark purple black in the bottle and should make some obvious color as it enters the sample.
    It briefly looked a dark red/purple color as I added it, but when I swirled it around it turned back to clear! I will try the high concentration instructions tonight when I retest.
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I took some retests. I tried both the fading endpoint test instructions (where I add 5 drops of the reagent before adding the colorant) and I got the same result, water clear. I also tried the high concentration instructions, and again, water stayed clear. I wish I could take a video, but when I add the R-0011L, it's like it dissolves in the water, doesn't add color at all. I also tried testing our tap water with the same results. But I know last year it worked. Did maybe one of the chemicals in the test go bad?

6. Back To Top    #6

The organic dye in R-0011L can go bad. Usually it stains the bottle it is in when it goes bad, though that isn't always easy to see.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the same Problem a few months back, yur r-011l is bad. New reagent and you will have the solution to your problem. See this post ch-test-problems-t40464.html
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I noticed my R-011L looks like a goldish brown color with a slight red tint to it. I'm thinking it went bad. Is this something that can be picked up at a local store, or would this likely be an online only purchase?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Cheap and easy to replace the R-0011L. I can't think of anything else either.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss
    I noticed my R-011L looks like a goldish brown color with a slight red tint to it. I'm thinking it went bad. Is this something that can be picked up at a local store, or would this likely be an online only purchase?

Pool stores here carry it, but, usually are old as they do not sell a lot reagents. My experience with my old k2005 was awful. I would just go to TFtestkits and get it from Dave.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber