Hi,
Just joined as new member. Found the website when dealing with some nasty algae problem in my pool. Actually I built the pool around 6 years ago and since I never had any algae problem. My pool is located in the Philippines, a bit outside of Manila. It's about 9m x 4.5m, no so big but fine for us, especially the kids enjoy most of it. Also it's not so deep, as we considered for the kids, the deepest point is about 1.5m (5 feet). The filing requires 54,000l or about 15,000 gallons. Actually since the first fill up, the water was never drained, since 6 years the water renewal is just through filling up the evaporated part. The daily fill up can be quite some, depending on wind speed and temperature.
For the sudden algae attack, I "blame" the endless rain during the past weeks. Seems that a lot of spores came into the pool and found a good breading ground. It took me two days with intensive chlorine shock and keeping pH at level. Now it's "blue sea" again. My supply shop recommended some algeacide (copper based) to prevent from happening again. I will try and see whether it helps because I am not a "friend" of high chlorine level in the pool, especially as the kids are using it.
Cheers
:party:

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

You will be less of a "friend" to the copper if it reaches a level that allows it to precipitate out onto your pool surfaces. That's a stain that is incredibly difficult to remove.

Search "copper" on this forum and you will see LOTS of posts advising against ever using it in your pool. Here's one I just happened to come across but there are many more. copper-removal-t42126.html

Chlorine, in adequate levels, remains the single best algaecide (and sanitizer) you can put in your pool.

....well as requested some pictures of the pool...
[attachment=0:1i3np6zw]Pool.jpg[/attachment:1i3np6zw]
It was built 6 years ago as concrete inground with 3 massive ground beams and triple walls (2 x enforced hallow blocks, 1 x enforced concrete) with tiles finished walls and pebbles (wash beton) on top. We get some earth quakes here, therefore to keep some measures for construction is key.
It is 9m long, at the widest point 5m and then keeping 4m, depth 1.2m falling to 1.5m. The capacity is about 54000l or 15000 gallons.
The filtering system is driven by 1HP Hayward pump and has a DE filter. The water quality can be easily maintained, since 6 years the water was never drained, just filling up evaporated water. Main treatment with 70% Hi-Chlon granulate (Japan) and balancing from time to time the pH level with muriatic acid.

After winning a short combat against algae attack (2x shocking plus muriatic acid to keep pH level at around 7.5) :hammer: ...... the blue sea is back.....clean, clear water, even the bottom drainage point can be seen..... :lol:
[attachment=1:1i3np6zw]Blue Sea Pool.jpg[/attachment:1i3np6zw]

:cheers:

Attachments

• Blue Sea Pool.jpg
    Blue Sea Pool.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 56