new build starting off ruff, with an overdig.

Mar 24, 2012
We have a fire pit and somehow one step down got mis interpellated. When I got home and looked I was pretty sure they had gone too deep and sure enough it was. He thought I meant a step inbetween the deck and the fire pit.

Overview of before.

100_3515.jpg

100_3516.jpg

The blue X means you're on your way out.

100_3517.jpg

100_3518.jpg

100_3519.jpg

100_3520.jpg

100_3521.jpg

100_3522.jpg

100_3523.jpg

100_3524.jpg

Here it comes.

100_3525.jpg

100_3526.jpg

100_3527.jpg

100_3528.jpg

100_3529.jpg

100_3530.jpg

100_3531.jpg

100_3532.jpg

100_3533jpg

100_3534.jpg

100_3535.jpg

100_3536.jpg

100_3537.jpg

100_3538.jpg

100_3539.jpg

When I noticed it was wrong the wall guys were talking about going and getting some cinder blocks to raise the wall. I called the builder to check on what the plan was and he was going to have them just fill it back in with dirt around the edges adn compact it since it was only 7 inches off. Instead it was done right, I am not sure who made the decision but everything started over today after a refill.

Here is after it was completely refilled and compacted.

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

and redug.
IMAG0638.jpg

Sorry your project got off to a rough start. Hopefully it will all be a lot better from here on out. Our project is at nearly 2 months and not yet complete.
You have a beautiful home and location. Just think of the many years of enjoyment ahead!

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

Are you going to end up needing a retaining wall? It seems like you have quite a slope. We have a bit of a slope as well, and leveled off the area around the pool but will need a small retaining wall towards the back of our pool.

He hasn't said anything about it yet. The back towards the woods is the only area that is close. Now that you mention it he is probably going to do everything he can to get out of it because it wasn't in his original quote so therefore iti would come out of his pocket. Tomorrow they will back fill and grade so I will have a better idea.

Got more pics of the build. But here's what I did today on my day off. I double checked the square footage of the decking using a laser to trace it out since I knew there was no way they were going to be accurate with tape measures. I use 3d lasers for work.

They calculated 950 when it was actually 850

poolscan.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobby1017 said:
Two months sounds ok to me, mine took 4 to finish.

Same here... We signed our contract the weekend following Thanksgiving. PB got his final check April 17th. The entire process probably could've been done in 3wks with proper motivation and cooperative weather. Turned out the slow build schedule allowed us time to double and triple check the different stages of work. In the end we ended up with a much better product that more closely reflected our "vision" because we had time to do additional research and make adjustments along the way. Good luck with the rest of your build and keep posting lots of pix.

This might be a regional thing but after our PB poured the concrete collar around the base of the steel walls, he backfilled a 2-3' ring around the pool with gravel. The entire deck area was then given a 4-6" gravel base. It looks like your concrete was poured directly on fill dirt. Is that correct?

The inner rebar collar looks good assuming they lifted it out of the dirt and into the center of the concrete during the pour. By no means am I trying to worry you. I'm just curious. :?:

This picture might give you a better idea what I'm talking about. There's no rebar pictured b/c our builder used fiber reinforced concrete.
ry%3D400

Yeah, I was concerned about the backfill, I asked about gravel. The PB claims to never have any problems using dirt, they brought a compacting thing out but it broke down so they reverted to driving over it with the bobcat to compact it as they filled it. I was going around before they concrete showed up positioning rocks under the rebar when he saw me he assured me they would lift it as they poured.

With all that said I was disappointed with the back fill and wished I had asked about it ahead of time.

Looks very nice! I think you did well with the amount of decking. Many people go minimal and later regret not having more. The rest of your build should go pretty quickly from here on out. :goodjob:

Are those umbrella holders on the right hand side? And how far apart are your concrete expansion joints? The panels look kinda large in the picture.

aeromorris05 said:
Looks very nice! I think you did well with the amount of decking. Many people go minimal and later regret not having more. The rest of your build should go pretty quickly from here on out. :goodjob:

Are those umbrella holders on the right hand side? And how far apart are your concrete expansion joints? The panels look kinda large in the picture.

Thanks, it came out better than I expected. Yeah they're for the umbrellas. Not sure on the joints they just went off the corners of the steps then randomly space out around. One of these days I'll get out to get some finished pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.